Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about Chimera Station - Deluxe. What exactly are the deluxe components? It is hard to tell because while they detail the deluxe box components, you don't state what the retail is, in order to compare. Is it just the metal coins? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the bottom in the FAQ section it has what is the difference. Currently the metal coins and better box packing is it, but there may be more from stretch goals. I've backed for now with hopes that there will indeed be more than just coins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I have a question about Chimera Station - Deluxe. What exactly are the deluxe components? It is hard to tell because while they detail the deluxe box components, you don't state what the retail is, in order to compare. Is it just the metal coins? Thanks!
That's the only difference for now. They've stated that there will be stretch goals that only apply to the deluxe version. (For reference, the first goal -- two-sided player boards with Variable Player Powers, unlocked at $70K -- will be part of the retail release. I believe the Deluxe components are slated to start at $80K.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There we go, silk screen wooden food and a mini expansion for deluxe only at 80k & 100k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:
... only at 80k & 100k.
I'm worried that at this rate the Kickstarter will reach a max of $120k and potentially have 1 more unknown stretch goal covered. If that is the case, the Deluxeified version of Chimera Station will be less than stellar and not worth it. I think TMG has many other stretch goals in mind but alas the poor start to this one has made it almost impossible to reach them when they are spaced around $10k to $20k apart.

I suspect their overwhelming success in the Yokohama Kickstarter may have caused them to mess this one up with unrealistic expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I don't understand why people think that the deluxe isn't worth it. Even if you only get the metal coins, $15 is perfectly reasonable. It's perfectly fine if you don't think that an interesting option, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's a bad value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe my "Not worth it" comment was a bit harsh. I'm 100% pulling for this deluxe game to make it but I just have this nagging feeling that it will be an uphill battle due to the success of TMG's latest Kick Starter, Yokohama Deluxe. We may never see the real Chimera Station Deluxe Version TMG had planned.

For instance, would Chimera Station with metal coins, wooden silk-screened food, and the mini expansion pass as a full Deluxe Version of the game? Compared to what they have done in their previous Deluxe games, this would be a let down (imo).

I'm sure they have more stretch goals planned but does it matter if we never see them due to a lack of funding? Currently we are collecting just over $2k per day. The last few days of the Kick Starter will see a jump of ~$30K or so which will result in a total of ~$120k - just enough to get the next stretch goal after the mini expansion but unlikely to reach the next goal after that which would have been set around $140k. I'm guessing they have more than the mini expansion (and the stretch goals prior to it) planned for this Deluxe version which makes me sad as I want to see the Deluxe game they planned on doing prior to starting this Kick Starter.

Or maybe I am worrying to much and something magical will happen and the game we desire will be funded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly happy with the Deluxe version of the game as it stands and I feel that such backer drama and hyperbole will only serve to cast a pall upon the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimera Station is the 7th TMG Kickstarter game or expansion which I have supported (including the Kings of Air and Steam expansion which failed funding). Let's put it straight: this campaign is a desaster.

This hurts me because: (A) I have read the rules and I think that the game is really, really good. Not so much because of the modular workers. More so because this game is full of many interesting decisions, mostly connected to nice interactive timing problems. (B) TMG should know know better. They are KS veterans. If Alien Frontiers (2010) can claim credits for being the first breakthrough for board games on Kickstarter, then TMG's Eminent Domain (2011) is the second one. They should know by now how to run a KS campaign properly. (C) It is a pity because the pure facts are not as bad as the campaign makes them look.

For instance, did you know that roughly 50 metal coins will be included? Some TMG guy told us in the KS comments. 50 metal coins definitely is value for money. If a coin is $.5 then that's $25 MSRP worth. But why on earth did they not communicate this cleary in the project description?

The project description is a mess anyway. Why did they not publish stretch goals right from the beginning of the campaign? Customers need, no: want, some incentive to back projects on Kickstarter. But here, there was no visible incentive to do so. Only TMG fans like myself backed this project on day 1, and even many of those were reluctant because they are still waiting for Thief's Market, TMG's previous KS project... while seeing that their FLGS has the game in its shelves... and online shops sell it for a lot less than what we paid on KS... Bad karma.

I could continue with high shipping costs for non-US buyers (TMG, please look at Stonemaier Games or Red Raven Games or many others how to do it right!). Or with the statement that metal coins are not what they were two years ago. Nowadays, most serious gamers have multiple metal coin sets at home. I personally use Viticulture coins for almost every game where denominations of 1, 2, and 5 are sufficient. Custom wooden pieces instead of cardboard chits are much more interesting. The order of "deluxified" components is perhapt not that attractive.

I'll stop here. There are many board game projects on KS where there is a lot of chrome hiding a game which is average at best. TMG seem to be the experts for the opposite: excellent games with a Kickstarter presention which is full of stupid errors such that the strengths of the game cannot shine through.

Nevertheless I hope that this campaign funds and I will hold up my deluxe game pledge. Although I seriously considered canceling the pledge and waiting for a retail version. However, I do not think that this campaign will reach much more than $120K. (If things go bad, we might even see negative pledges per day on Kicktraq if day-1-backers cancel their pledge because the perceived deluxe value is not there. $2K per day is not that much in the positive range.)

Hey, TMG, Chimera Station currently is #5 on the BGG hotness list. The contest here brought many BGG users to the project page. And still the campaign earns only meager $2K on pledges per day? There must be something wrong. Either the game is bad or the campaign is bad. I am quite sure that the reason is not the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. I shouldn't have to post here or message the creator of the kickstarter in order to understand clearly what the deluxe components are. Additionally, not posting the now ubiquitous "stretch goals" at launch is foolish and incompetent. That combined with the ridiculously high requirements for them gives a bad impression to backers. Just because the previous kickstarter was such a success does NOT guarantee future ones. It doesn't mean that you rest on your laurels and take it for granted. Smacks of egotism.

"Drama and hyperbole"? No. It is called honestly discussing thoughts in an open manner. A "pall" over the campaign? Who was the one speaking of hyperbole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not interested in metal coins or wooden food but the expansion sounds interesting but that's to expensive for only that. Not to mentions that shipping (outside US) is on the expensive side and you can't order some games within one packet to save shipping you have to pay $20,$30,... for each game even if you order multiple ones.

They really made a bad choice on the retail/deluxe version.

I really prefer that the deluxe version only adds non gameplay relevant material but not contents.

FAQ at the bottom of the KickStarter wrote:
What is the difference between the Deluxe version and the Retail Version?
The Deluxe version will have the Metal Coins, special treated box / packaging for delivery, and certain stretch goals as they become available.

So when you order a retail version your game is packed badly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
MetalPirate is pretty spot on with the reasons I haven't backed Chimera Station yet. I have been watching it religiously since day one of the kickstarter and have been lurking here on BGG and on kickstarter soaking up any info I can about the game to change my mind. I watched closely for the release of their stretch goals hoping those would be too good to pass up. Alas, I still haven't backed.

In case anyone wants to say I'm just not their target market, I backed Yokohama Deluxe in the first day or so of their campaign without hesitation (and 9 other kickstarter games in the last 6 months). I also regret not backing Orleans Deluxe.

The game looks great but there is nothing that jumps out to me screaming that I need the deluxe version. I've seen multiple people say its only $15 difference and metal coins cost a lot more than that, but its not the only difference. Its the fact that I'm giving them my money to hold onto for a year, money in which i could be using for other games I can play now. With no guarantee of actually receiving anything, especially with a ding on their record with Thief's market, do I want to take the chance? Also, OLGS sell the games for lower than MSRP and TMG games are often included in sales so the gap between Deluxe and retail is a lot wider than just $15.

At this point I think I can safely say I wouldn't have a problem waiting until this one hits retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanwen Dong
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It's just a hobby
mbmb
Out of the loop here. What is TMG Thief market that everyone is talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thief's Market is a small card and dice game published by TMG recently. It was on Kickstarter. Price $17 including world wide delivery, due in July 2016. Delivered two month late for most of us. Which is not too dramatic in terms of Kickstarter standards, but there are/were some minor problems which add up. Project communication could have been better, the game appeared on FLGS shelves before backers got their copies, online prices are lower than what KS backers paid. I guess than a few backers are still waiting for their copies to arrive.

TMG used a new fulfillment partner for Thief's market. TMG apologized for the delay and said that they won't use this company again. Nevertheless, Thief's market create a negative climate for starting a new Kickstarter project, especially among some die-hard TMG fans. And it is never a good idea for a company to alienate your most loyal customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanwen Dong
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It's just a hobby
mbmb
Thanks for explaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sooo disappointed with how this game is doing - it looks great! But I don't see the "deluxe" value here, and don't even see it with the current SGs that are available. I will very likely be cancelling my pledge and wait to pick it up retail.

Besides the other campaign issues others have already noted, I wonder if timing is part of the problem here as well. A lot of people are ordering/waiting for Essen releases, which may not leave a lot of $ available for a KS that won't deliver until next year. TMG might be better off cancelling this campaign, considering advice from everyone above, and relaunching around Feb/March next year when there is a lack of new games and people have more $ to spend post-Essen and post-holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ksaeger wrote:
I'm sooo disappointed with how this game is doing - it looks great! But I don't see the "deluxe" value here, and don't even see it with the current SGs that are available. I will very likely be cancelling my pledge and wait to pick it up retail.

Besides the other campaign issues others have already noted, I wonder if timing is part of the problem here as well. A lot of people are ordering/waiting for Essen releases, which may not leave a lot of $ available for a KS that won't deliver until next year. TMG might be better off cancelling this campaign, considering advice from everyone above, and relaunching around Feb/March next year when there is a lack of new games and people have more $ to spend post-Essen and post-holidays.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-galaxies-...

I don't think Essen has anything to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New update says they're now adding wood component upgrades to the deluxe edition. Hopefully that will bring some backers in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just received my Deluxe KS copy, I can say that it included a little insert stating that the deluxe items were the metal coins and the wooden pieces. Only the food pieces are silk-screened. The others have colored stickers to put on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.