Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Davith Build Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leland Martel
msg tools
So, my group has finally gotten our Hoth campaign going, and we are now three missions in. Our team is Jyn, Biv, MHD, and Davith, and so far the Rebels have won all the missions (though, our IA took us to the wire on Battle of Hoth and White Noise. We are terrible rebels). As such, we have had a good amount of credits and XP to play with.

I have come to a point where I am unsure what may be the better route to go with Davith (MHD, the other hero I am controlling, is saving for his Bacta Radiator). I was fortunate enough to get him a vibrosword and balanced hilt, which pairs nicely with Falling Leaf. However, I am now at a point where I need to consider his next upgrade, and I am torn between Fell Swoop and the Shrouded Lightsaber as my next purchase. I am fairly certain I want one of those moving into the next story mission, and admittedly, I am leaning towards the lightsaber, as right now, Davith seems decent at putting some damage on Imperials, but cannot seem to seal the deal without a second attack and straining out.

Does anyone have any advice they can share? Any Davith experiences?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Do you have either (or both) Obi-Wan's Xpac or the Grand Inquisitor's Xpac?

If so, I would lean heavily against spending XP on the LS and just look to upgrade his weapon with credits. You will likely draw one of the three T3 melee weapons and should be second priority for credit spending. Biv should be last(aside from your presumably full support MHD getting hand-me-downs), imo, since he's mostly going to be trying to get off Close and Personal anyways and not constantly shooting/attacking. Jyn would probably be first because she can get off three shots per turn on a lot of turns and keep moving around the map.

Davith with Fell Swoop can also pull off a three attack turn, but it's going to be fewer and further between.

I would go for Fell Swoop. It works great with Falling Leaf and Balanced Hilt, since you can proc the Hilt to get the second surge when needed.

Lightsabers are cool and all, but spending XP on a not Best in Slot item is inefficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Martel
msg tools
Pinewood74 wrote:
Do you have either (or both) Obi-Wan's Xpac or the Grand Inquisitor's Xpac?

If so, I would lean heavily against spending XP on the LS and just look to upgrade his weapon with credits. You will likely draw one of the three T3 melee weapons and should be second priority for credit spending. Biv should be last(aside from your presumably full support MHD getting hand-me-downs), imo, since he's mostly going to be trying to get off Close and Personal anyways and not constantly shooting/attacking. Jyn would probably be first because she can get off three shots per turn on a lot of turns and keep moving around the map.

Davith with Fell Swoop can also pull off a three attack turn, but it's going to be fewer and further between.

I would go for Fell Swoop. It works great with Falling Leaf and Balanced Hilt, since you can proc the Hilt to get the second surge when needed.

Lightsabers are cool and all, but spending XP on a not Best in Slot item is inefficient.
I do have Kenobi and the Inquisitor, so I have pretty much all options available.

So, from my understanding, you view the Electrostaff and Ancient Lightsaber as better than the Shrouded? Admittedly, the third die for the attack does seem quite attractive, but the lack of pierce on the staff, and the expensive pierce on the ancient have me a little hesitant, especially when the shrouded has a pierce 3 for one surge. I guess, where I am right now, I feel like my hurdle with Davith is trying to chew through the defense dice our IA is rolling, and that pierce seems perfect for it, essentially negating the black defense die.

The other thing I am considering is the upgrade slots. The shrouded allows for two upgrades, while both the staff and ancient only have one. Do you not feel the loss of the upgrade slot, or is that just me?

Do not get me wrong, I am in no way disagreeing with your advice, as I have jumped back and forth on the same subject a couple times already. I am just looking for some thoughts on it.

EDIT: As for the rest of our team, we have yet to see the DL-44 show up (with one more Tier 1 draw remaining), but Jyn is currently rocking the DOC Defender, Tac Display and has Peacemaker. We bought Biv the E-11 as we found he was not always able to make it close enough to use upclose and personal, and wanted him to have a couple more options for his attacks...

We also still have 700 credits following White Noise (winning both Battle of Hoth and White Noise, plus getting all the crates in the missions has given us a lot of money), so money is not a huge concern. This is especially true with MHD just getting hand me downs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the Shrouded Lightsaber on my first run through with him. The basically auto Pierce 3 shreds Black die enemies. Between hidden and balanced hilt and ally support, you can usually trigger hidden again and/or +2-3 damage. It can go a long way for your team if you can save them on 1000 or so credits so that they can get better gear as well.

I think it's about 2.5 tier item. A tier 3 is probably ultimately better though, especially since Shrouded Lightsaber is only Green+Yellow, the base damage isn't that strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Martel
msg tools
That was my thinking as well. Though, based on some of the advice I have been getting (over at the FFG forums), I am starting to wonder if I am placing too much emphasis on the Pierce 3 for one surge. The way I have been seeing it, even though the damage is low, with a single surge, you are guaranteed to ignore the black defense die. With a second surge, you are like to put on a good chunk of hurt on most models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I think all of the Tier 3 weapons are better than the Shrouded Lightsaber and running the numbers shows that they outperform the Lightsaber in pretty much every condition.

The 2 slots would be nice, but there currently aren't a whole lot of amazing melee attachments, particularly ones that work well with SL. The hilts are both good, but they're both balance so you have to choose. High Impact Guard is good defensively, but you can just slap it on your starting weapon, and the offesnvie boost isn't very big when you already have such good surges on the SL. Vibrogenerator is horrible on SL, and Shock Emitter always seemed a little overpriced to me.

So, long story short, on the SL, two slots doesn't do much for you.

I agree it's a pretty big upgrade at the start, but then in mid to late game you'd rather have that 3 XP spent elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.