Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Dice Bocce!

Dice Bocce is definitely a WIP title for this multiplayer dexterity game for the 2016 Mint Tin contest. Your goal is to "pop" your die as close to the target chip as possible. You'll get points if you're the closest, and whoever reaches ten points first wins.

3-8 (or more?) players
10-15 minutes, more with more players

Components

1 poker chip, coin, tiddledywink, or some other flickable disc to use as the target chip
2 pieces of string, one around 6 inches, one around 18 inches
1 die per player, each of different colors. You can get a pack of 10 dice (5 white, 5 other colors) at Dollar Tree, or you could do this to make more than 6 unique colors

Rules

Choose one player to start. On further rounds, the start player will be the player who was closest to the target on the previous round.

The starting player flicks the target chip across the table, and puts the 6-inch string where the chip was when he or she flicked it. Then, beginning with the starting player, each player "pops" his or her dice in an attempt to get as close to the target chip as possible.

This is "popping". If you can come up with a better word for this, please let me know. You put your finger on the die, then push your finger to the table so the die bounces upward.

Does this make sense? I really need to get this across, as it's the main mechanic, and you do it a lot.

Use the longer string to measure, if necessary, after everyone has taken their turn. The closest player gets 2 points, and the second-closest gets 1.

Next round, there may be an extra rule, depending on what the winner's die result was. If the winner's die showed a:

1-3: No extra rule.
4: Instead of popping, you roll the die by bouncing it behind the string.
5: You must use your non-dominant hand.
6: You must make the shot with your eyes closed.

This bit needs playtesting. Anyone got any other ideas? Are any of these ones too hard? Should there be more, less, or different ones?

--

And that's the game. Notice there are no extra components you need to print, so you should be able to playtest it very easily. Also, up to 15 16mm dice can fit in a tin, so you can play with _tons_ of people (I've only played with 3, 6, and 8, and turns are quick enough that 8 isn't much of a downtime problem). You may want to have fewer points for fewer players (only the first-place player gets a point if 3-5 players, 2-1 for the top 2 for 6-8, 3-2-1 for the top 3 if 9+?).

I'm also considering a team variant to make it more like actual Bocce, but the way I played Bocce growing up was individual, so that's how I designed the game. What do y'all think?

Please playtest this with me and let me know if you want to see any changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
This is "popping". If you can come up with a better word for this, please let me know. You put your finger on the die, then push your finger to the table so the die bounces upward.

does pinch-pop sound any better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea.

Looking through my stash of miscellaneous dice, I've found I have a few mini dice (10mm), and thought "that could make an excellent 'jack ball'!" Then you could not only be trying to get closest (distance wise) but also closest (value wise). This would also mean the "jack die" could be hit and moved (or value changed) as with regular bocce.

I don't quite understand how the 6" string works. Is that the target and the flicking chip is removed? You probably are already working on an illustration for this.

Trying the "popping" out I'm getting wildly different results, anywhere between 4 feet and negative two inches! And different size dice (and amounts of rounding) have a big effect. That could be both frustrating and crazy fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Random Order wrote:
I don't quite understand how the 6" string works. Is that the target and the flicking chip is removed? You probably are already working on an illustration for this.

The 6" string is the line of scrimmage. You have to stay behind it to shoot, and the chip is the target. I'll reword it to make it more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pinch popping" is a little more descriptive than "popping", but, with the illustrations, I think either term is OK.

Is pinch popping a skill? Can you get better at it, more accurate the more you do it? For me, I could get better at not having a dud (just going an inch or two), but I couldn't really aim or determine a distance.

That's not a bad thing, it probably just makes this more a fun party game, versus a battle of skill. I could see this as a great game to keep those pesky kids occupied while us grown ups are busy killing zombies or exploring far off lands.

Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... have you thought of using twelve-sided die which would roll more? Or other types of dice in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.