11 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Sell me on Highlands and/or The City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quylthulg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been avoiding the corner expansions because of the total footprint and the low likelihood of my playing beyond solo/two-player, but now with the licensing kerfluffle I've been reconsidering. I went ahead and grabbed Dungeon for its characters + potential usefulness in power-leveling more hardcore games with Firelands/Dragon/Harbinger/combos, and now I'm thinking it'd be nice to have less-difficult place to run to with these active. Here are my current thoughts:

The Highlands:
Pros:

Gold generation for The City (Is this really necessary if you have other
small-box expansions? I recall reading one added more bags of gold..)
Dungeon alternative/equalizer for weaker characters?
Variety
More breathing room for more intense expansions + interactions

Cons:

Gold generation (rein it in by thinning the Trinkets/etc?)
Not as tight an overall experience? Player distancing
Uninteresting characters
-=-

The City:
Pros:

More Nethack-like whimsy is always welcome.
(I really like the idea of mixing this with Bloodmoon for a
fuller Halloween theme (what's Halloween without a town/city?))
More stuff.
Again, breathing room for intense hazards
Glitter the Unicorn?
Serious flavor addition for a solo or more relaxed multiplayer game, I'd think.

Cons:

Fixable serious balance issues
Not too into the characters
Probably only dipped into a few times per game, but worth it
if loaded with gold.

-=-
That's about it for now. I've looked at the Woodlands, too, but neither the new mechanics nor the characters really grab me.
Wouldn't mind a little insight on it vs the others, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy both expansions, but I enjoy the city more for a few reasons.

1) It gives you a place with shops that you are guaranteed to enter. Unlike trying to land on the corner/a specific space for shopping, you can enter any shop that you pass.

2) It is chock full of interesting items. It's a great place to get the items you want, and doesn't depend on luck of the draw to get them.

3) It lets you get a lot of gold and spend a lot of gold. Both are great, and the Bounty Hunts are a good way to get some extra gold.

4) The characters are a fun group and are interesting to play. I really enjoy the Tinkerer and the Bounty Hunter

5) The enemies here aren't too crazy so it gives you a safer place to go at the start of the game.

I also enjoy the Highlands, but if you already have the dungeon it plays similarly just for weaker characters.

Also I will spam myself and say- look at my review of the City here!
Mil05006 Reviews: The City!

While the Highlands has great characters, and is a good place to go with weaker characters to level up, I find that the city fills the same slot as a good place to good for weaker characters with the added bonus of letting you get amazing items, steeds, and PETS (and who doesn't want a pet) on top of it, instead of hoping you get one or two of the great items the Highlands boss gives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quylthulg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize you could enter any shop you passed in The City--that's good to know. My head's still spinning as I digest these rulebooks .

I'll give your review another read and consider your points. Things are looking worse for my wallet surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The City is great for speeding up the game because of those items you can get in the shop.

As a side note, while it is easy to get into a shop (since you don't need an exact roll to get into one), it is easy for opponents to follow you and land on you in there too.

Then, the Highlands can be a good way to generate gold to use in the City.

I do tend to just go to the City and try to earn gold while there though, often without going to the Highlands so having the Highlands just gives you another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of characters, I'd say Highlands is better (or worse, depending on your POV). City ones are fairly bland overall, though upside is that they aren't all that power creepy. Bounty Hunter + Full Plate can be an issue, but given his win-loss around here, hasn't been so. Flail is a game-changer.

Highlands on the other hand gives us the Alchemist. Oh, boy, stupidly powerful. Honestly, he should be unbeatable when playing vanilla CoC ending (Reaper or Basilisk could get him, not much else should). But I think the one real surprise from Highlands for me was Rogue (aka Queen of Swords, seriously, look it up and compare ). While her strategy of City-spamming (Enchantress) isn't all that exciting perhaps, it is a winning one, making her one of the few characters with a winning record around here (Warlock being the only other one I think). You even get the Valkyrie who is almost 50-50, which is an impressive feat as well. While Highlander, Sprite and Vampiress are more back of the pack tier, the other three are enough to arguably make Highlands have the most power creepy of the expansions in terms of characters.

Boards don't see that much action. City gets visited when you have gold to buy a Flail, exit via Wharf. Highlands doesn't even see that much action, it's main board, then Dungeon, stopover in City possibly at some point, but gaining stats via Dungeon is just easier than Highlands, which only sees more action if an annoying Ifrit is affecting the Outer Region in the early game. I'd say games where 10+ cards are drawn from either Highlands or City decks are rare, Dungeon deck on the other hand probably average 30+ cards per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You toted the pros for Highlands: leveling low level characters and money for the City. Therefore getting the Highlands and not the City takes away half it's goodness. If your only gonna get 1, get the City.

But as I shared in another thread, if you like Talisman, at this point before all the expansions are gone, get everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Murphy
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to give a vote for Highlands.

While I wanted to enjoy them I didn't like the city expansion in the 2nd edition and I don't like it again in the 4th edition. My over simplified answer would be to ask you if you want to go shopping or adventuring ? After playing the city expansion it just didn't feel like much of an adventure anymore when u know what items or gold making schemes everyone is trying for. Yes u can still call it a part of adventuring but I prefer exploring the lands and battling the denizens. The city and village spaces on the main board then more than fill the need for me to buy/exchange items , heal, etc.
without the loops and exploits of the city board.

The Highlands on the other hand feels like a new place to explore outside of the base board or dungeon with the danger level maybe falling somewhere between the two. I like the use of trinkets and the ability to possibly accumulate a little gold there as well. After playing with the dungeon , highlands and city boards , if I were forced to choose only one to play I'd choose the Highlands. The City would be my last choice.

So my recommendation if you want adventuring get the Highlands. If you want to go shopping buy this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14444/lets-go-shopping

Have fun either way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Brea
California
flag msg tools
pew pew pew
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased the base game myself, so I'm new to Talisman and don't know much about the game yet. If you purchase The City you can get The Deep Realms POD expansion to link it to your Dungeon expansion you already own. That sounds like it could be fun, and another reason to pick up The City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quylthulg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, all. It's looking like the answer is to get them both ninja.

Edit:
Looks like I waited too long on The City cry. Guess I'll grab Highlands and think about Woodlands, or call it done and grab Lost Legion for Mage Knight..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll state this simply. The City is my favorite and most used expansion, The Highlands is my least favorite expansion. I only use parts of The Dragon expansion, and I like it slightly more.

As an odd consideration... The Dungeon, and The City are on the same side of the board, while The Highlands are diagonal to The Dungeon. This means Dungeon/City takes less table space, and is less awkward to work around. Sure it's a pretty minor consideration to game mechanics, and only matters in certain situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quylthulg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
... As an odd consideration... The Dungeon, and The City are on the same side of the board, while The Highlands are diagonal to The Dungeon. This means Dungeon/City takes less table space, and is less awkward to work around. Sure it's a pretty minor consideration to game mechanics, and only matters in certain situations.

It's quite a valid consideration. I was actually considering both angles, that Dungeon/City is more compact, but Dungeon/Highlands would look kind of neat/balanced . Honestly, I'm not even sure I will be able to fit corner expansions on the table I plan to play everything on--haven't checked yet. At the end of the day, I'll be fine with all the expansions I do have even if the corners escape my grasp. Could always put the savings toward sleeving/containing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.