Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I was mostly unfamiliar with this property, having only seen the preview for the live action movie on YouTube. It was in Japanese (I suppose) so I dismissed it. However the image of the Titan breaking into the city continued to play on my mind. I never thought it would amount to anything.
Then I see this game. Lo and behold it's the same thing!
Netflix has some of it and I began watching. I can see why there is excitement for the game.

The images and theme are almost gruesome but also intriguing, and I think, unique.

But the theme itself might not be enough for me, whereas for others it seems to suffice ("auto buy" and all that sort of thing). I can simply continue watching the series if the theme is enough.

Is the company producing the game reputable? Do they have a track record for success and creativity?

Is this a deck builder? I love deck builders.

I'm excited to wade into this new universe (my first anime!) but I suppose in the end I'm just like every other poster in this forum just wanting more information.

Edit: it says "deck builder" in the game title blush so that answers one of my questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptozoic is an established game company that has had some recent successes. More importantly, the designer of the Attack on Titan game:

Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Is also the designer for many of the more prominent titles including:
DC Comics Deck-Building Game
CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game
Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake

I've met Matt in passing at one of my local game meetups and he's a great guy who really loves what he does. I had a chance to play the DC Deckbuilder at a tournament that day as well. It was my first time playing, but I was able to grok the mechanics quickly and the game flowed nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The company making this game, Cryptozoic Entertainment, has a history of putting out good games, including Epic Spell Wars and Love Letter: Batman, as well as acting as the US publishers for quality games like Spyfall and Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game.

This deck builder will be based on the Cerberus family of deck building games, which already includes hit games like DC Comics Deck-Building Game and Lord of the Rings Deck Building Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
May I recommend this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
You may indeed!
Thank you.
As I mention, I am eager to learn about this fascinating new world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was hoping it would have a little more then just an art port to it .. So I'm going to be sad if that's the case ...I had the batman game and after a few plays got board with it .. So if this is the same game with just diffrent art why bother .im really hoping that's not the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Now I can't stop watching the show.
My wife is ready to move out
I'm pretty hooked and can see why this crowd would be so enthusiastic about theme.
I've looked into the mechanism (in the DC deckbuilder) and it looks "ok." With a couple of tweaks this can be pretty outstanding.
It's moved to the top of my want list with Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
Well I was hoping it would have a little more then just an art port to it .. So I'm going to be sad if that's the case ...I had the batman game and after a few plays got board with it .. So if this is the same game with just diffrent art why bother .im really hoping that's not the case

While this game does use the Cerberus Deck-building engine it is the biggest departure from a traditional Deck-building game I think we've ever seen for one big reason. Movement.

In a typical Cerberus Deck-building game you are able to buy any card from the line-up no matter the location. For Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game we wanted to make sure 3D maneuver gear, which is crucial equipment in the fight against the titans, was accurately represented. Thus, each player will have a character standee on the line up and movement cards in their deck.

There are actually two line-ups that represented by walls, one one side of the wall are all the cards your team can recruit, while on the other titans are trying to get through. You can only gain cards or fight titans if your standee is physically in that location of the two line-ups.

This will all be detailed further in a Meeple Monthly article released in October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.