GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,400 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Skulking Kobold cannot be defeated if there is an adjacent minion with a higher VP value."

We weren't quite sure what should happen when SK is at the back of a horde with enough Peril to trigger an attack, and there is an adjacent minion with higher VP.
a. SK is attacked but not defeated, and so SK and the rest of the horde stay in place.
b. The attack transfers to the adjacent minion with higher VP.

We played b, but I suspect that a is correct. If b is correct, it raises questions rather similar to some of those raised by...

Charging Minotaur. "After the [hero] attacks this horde, defeat the adjacent minion(s) with the highest VP value."

1. Does this trigger whenever the horde including CM is attacked, even if CM is not at the back of the horde?
2. If there is minion with higher VP adjacent to CM but in a different horde, what happens?
i. Is that minion defeated, even if it not at the back of its horde?
ii. If the minion is defeated, does that send the other minions in its horde to the safe haven?

Finally, a question on Lumbering Troll and Spotted Griffin. Each refers to "the back of any horde". This could be the horde including the LT or SG, right? There isn't a missing "other" from the ability.

First play, with my 10yo son, went fairly well. I think I'll be able to convince him to play again.

Thank you,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SK is not a valid target for the Hero, since he cannot be defeated. The Hero skips the SK and attacks the next valid minion in the horde, from back to front. There are other situations that arise that make the minion at the back an invalid target to the hero too.

For the CM, yes, the ability is triggered when his horde is attacked. Because of the order of operations specified on the card, the CM's ability ONLY triggers if he's not defeated by the Hero. It's important to note that it's the CM who is doing the defeating when his ability is triggered. He attacks minions adjacent to him, whether in his horde or another.

For LT and SG, any horde includes their horde. We use 'any horde' to mean any, 'other hordes' to mean not yours, and 'this horde' to exclude all hordes but this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac,
Many thanks for the clear and rapid answers to my questions on SK and other minions. Your explicit statement of how CM works is particularly helpful.

ender7 wrote:
Because of the order of operations specified on the card, the CM's ability ONLY triggers if he's not defeated by the Hero. It's important to note that it's the CM who is doing the defeating when his ability is triggered. He attacks minions adjacent to him, whether in his horde or another.

As for LG and SG, I'm glad to hear that "any horde" means "any horde"!

Thanks again,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.