Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic:Legacy suggestion for new players **NO SPOILERS** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
So, we just finished up December (we did... poorly) and I thought I would offer up a non-spoilery tip for people who maybe just picked the game this week (over at CSI's sale, for instance) and are about to crack it open with their group.

First off, I loved this game. I played a lot of great games over the past year, but this was the best experience I had, without question. That having been said, I do have a complaint. The game kind of shotguns new rules/pieces/whatevers at you in a bit of a haphazard way as you play through the campaign. It can be very easy for you to miss something that might make a big difference in later games. Especially if one person is taking it on themselves to make all the indicated changes. That's what happened to us, and we missed something that basically made it kind of impossible for us to win in December (still loved the game, though).

So, here's my tip: divide up the responsibilities among all four players. When you open the box, you're going to see a bunch of non-standard game components. There's an extra deck of cards that will drive the story and provide extra instructions as you go along. There's a stack of what looks like advent calendars. There's a sheet of stickers that you'll use to modify the board, cards, and characters. There's a bunch of small numbered cartons with more stuff in them.

Put one person in charge of the story deck. He'll be responsible for flipping each card up at the appropriate time and reading the flavor text. Sometimes those cards will instruct you to open up a package or an advent calendar door (or doors). So the story deck person reads the card and then hands it to....

Another player who is in charge of the advent calendar and packages. This player opens up all indicated doors and reveals the contents to the other players, follows the instructions therein.

A third player is in charge of the stickers. The game will occasionally instruct you to put a sticker on the board (or a card, or a character sheet). One player will be in charge of managing that.

And the fourth player will be in charge of all traditional Pandemic components (disease cubes, infection deck, etc).

I think dividing up the responsibilities like this will make things go a lot smoother and will ensure you don't miss anything important (like we did). Have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice.

Its easy to miss stuff - so splitting up responsibilities is key.

I make each player handle the cubes for the color they are sitting next to. ie. player closest to blue puts out all the blue cubes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Another good idea. I may adopt that for my future vanilla Pandemic plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
What we tended to do was, whenever something new was revealed, one person would read it out loud, then pass it to around to other people who'd also read it. That way any subtleties or misunderstandings were much more likely to be spotted.

We didn't go out of our way to do things that way, it's just how they happened.

Well, except...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
End of August spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Nuclear Option. I revealed that, read it to myself, thought "um" and silently passed it to the player on my left. "Oh", they said, and passed it on. That one shook us a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top tip would be to only play one or two months in a session, and read the current rules before and after each session. You'll still make mistakes, but they'll be contained rather than carrying through half the year before you notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
My top tip would be to only play one or two months in a session, and read the current rules before and after each session. You'll still make mistakes, but they'll be contained rather than carrying through half the year before you notice.

This is what we did. I think the most we played in 1 evening was 3 games, and that was usually when we lost a game. We always reviewed the rules before each game session by going through the book and the player aid. I highly recommend that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who picked the game up thanks to the CSI sale I thank you for the tips, especially since my group puts me in charge of everything.

I will defiantly take these tips and suggestions with me when we start playing and probably enforce the 'everyone has a role' part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
igknight wrote:
As someone who picked the game up thanks to the CSI sale I thank you for the tips, especially since my group puts me in charge of everything.

I will defiantly take these tips and suggestions with me when we start playing and probably enforce the 'everyone has a role' part.
While I'm confident that you meant 'definitely', the idea of you staring and shouting down the other players who don't go along with these tips and suggestions is quite amusing! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
igknight wrote:

While I'm confident that you meant 'definitely', the idea of you staring and shouting down the other players who don't go along with these tips and suggestions is quite amusing! laugh

Oh now that is just to funny, and yes, that was what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.