Subject: Dungeon Crawl for Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking for some ideas of dungeon crawl games that are co-op and would work for kids 6 years old and up. Also something that is interesting for an adult to sink their teeth into at the same time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is a quite good dungeon crawl enjoyable for adults and listed as suitable for ages 7+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mb
Check out Lost Woods. While technically not in a dungeon, you do go around fighting monsters, equipping items you find, and collecting gold. It is competitive, but there is a cooperative variant as well. The fighting mechanics aren't difficult, just the player and the monster rolling whatever number die their attack calls for.

(Shameless plug for the videos I do:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/91255/lost-woods/lost-woods-... )

I'd say this is a good intro into the genre. Others I would recommend after this are:

Super Dungeon Explore - unfortunately their rules have gone through lots of changes, I'm sure you could easily make house rules when needed. The dice mechanics are little more complicated than Lost Woods, but easier than most dungeon crawls. Basically dice have stars you add up for your attack, potions, and hearts.

Mice and Mystics - kind of like a story book adventure with animals. The dice mechanics get more complicated than SDE, now they have swords and bows for attacks, cheese, numbers on all sides (pertaining to movement), and shields on some sides (for defense). The story is well done and there are interesting mechanics and events that take place.

Arcadia Quest - This involves players maintaining groups of 3 heroes, so the complexity grows compared to others. Also, there is potential for fighting others. The dice mechanics, in my opinion, are less complex than M&M.

Descent 2.0 - Probably not the best to start kids at, but good job if you get them here. One of my favorite dungeon crawls. Worst part for me was the Overlord needing to be a player, since no one wanted to be it and it usually fell on me. With the new app, the Overlord is now automated through the app.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I have the most experience with these. From what I saw of Masmorra, it looks like a mix of Lost woods and Arcadia Quest. I also enjoy Myth, but there are mixed opinions on that (I love it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game - pretty simple rules but still some interesting choices to be made and reacting to luck of the die. An added bonus is that the scenarios in the game are based on the novels, which can really help kids get even more engaged with the game if they already have attachment to the characters and the story they're playing through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mb
After I realized I forgot it, I came back and saw it was mentioned. The Dungeon and Dragon board games are simple in the fact that it only involves rolling a d20 when attacking. Though there are things that add complexity, I think it would be one I'd introduce people to before Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
Looking for some ideas of dungeon crawl games that are co-op and would work for kids 6 years old and up. Also something that is interesting for an adult to sink their teeth into at the same time.

Considering most 6 year olds can't read all too well, I'd go with Defenders of the Realm. It's not really a dungeon crawl, but it is a fantasy themed game and co-op that a 6 year-old can enjoy as well as most adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majinjeb wrote:
Check out Lost Woods. While technically not in a dungeon, you do go around fighting monsters, equipping items you find, and collecting gold. It is competitive, but there is a cooperative variant as well. The fighting mechanics aren't difficult, just the player and the monster rolling whatever number die their attack calls for.

(Shameless plug for the videos I do:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/91255/lost-woods/lost-woods-... )

+1 for Lost Woods. I Kickstarted it and it's a fantastic introduction to adventure games for young gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a chance to try Pocket Dungeon Quest yesterday. It's definitely designed so that kids would be able to handle it (with an adult assisting with the item effects and character abilities). It's pretty light, though, so I don't know how riveting an adult would find it. It's kind of like a co-op version of DungeonQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:

Welcome to the Dungeon not really a crawl, but you're fighting monsters in a dungeon. its an easy to teach, quick filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mice and Mystics

I might also direct you to Vast: The Crystal Caverns, while not a dungeon crawl per say, it has all the same thematic elements that come with most dungeon crawls. Each player has a role and goals that are completely separate from one another. A player can be a paladin, dragon, goblins, thief, or even the cave itself! Highly recommend it and I feel that it is accessible for younger players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old loves dungeon!. It's really about as simple as it gets, so it's ideal for a 6 year old. She also has declared welcome to the dungeon as her favorite game we have ever played, which isn't really a dungeon crawl in the traditional sense, but has the theme of going through a dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A little bit different but a great fun game for a six year old is The Siblings Trouble

I have the imagination of a slug by the way so don't let the mentioned role playing put you off - is not that hard, you don't have to act as such, you just got to think of an answer as to get around an obstacles etc and the cards give enough hints. You collect weapons/equipment, you have encounters that you can either fight with or even talk nicely to them or trick them, you explore and even go underground etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon! is great for younger kids, though it's not coop and it's probably not going to hold an adult's attention for long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have matched miniatures to the dice in Dungeon Roll and used tiles from my old descent first edition game.
Got four 6+ years playing it together pairing them off in two separate mini dungeons and they love it so much I'm thinking of getting a second copy .
It is just fast enough with the one box of dice still. But you know how impatient the odd young'un can be .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.