Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Between Wall Street, the big banks, and crap like this, I'd say we need more constrains on capitalism, not fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The generalized argument for a lot of stuff like this is that in a true free market society this would either self-correct or have not happened, and that it is the result of our bastardized system and various forms of legal protectionism.

(Terminology is not correct since I'm abridging my alreadynot totally in-depth knowledge.)

YMMV, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I'd say we need more constrains on capitalism, not fewer.

You could always move to one of the nations that have the level of regulation you like. North Korea perhaps ?

Regulation is the enemy of freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is news? There have been documentaries done on Luxotica in the past and there aren't any real secrets here. Plus, what kind of moron pays $400 for a pair of glasses? I have two pair that are for back-up and they cost $65 for both. Then I have a nice pair of Ray-bans with those high tech lenses that darken and get light dependent on sunlight. Ray-Bans, high tech plastic shape-shifting = $210 total.

The problem isn't "regulation" it's over regulation. Regulation up to a point is fine, like needing a certificate from the Health department to operate a restaurant or other benign but helpful forms of government doing a service. Luxotica is also not an American company so I'd imagine you couldn't regulate them anyway. Hell Apple is damn near a monopoly it controls over half the smart phone smart watch and tablet market (or did) and there is still healthy competition.

Who the fuck pays over $400 for a pair of glasses? Hillary maybe, or Oprah, or Paris Hilton. But if you have access to the internet and still believe the fake narratives in the Adam Ruins Everything series then you deserve $400 glasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
This is news? There have been documentaries done on Luxotica in the past and there aren't any real secrets here. Plus, what kind of moron pays $400 for a pair of glasses? I have two pair that are for back-up and they cost $65 for both. Then I have a nice pair of Ray-bans with those high tech lenses that darken and get light dependent on sunlight. Ray-Bans, high tech plastic shape-shifting = $210 total.

The problem isn't "regulation" it's over regulation. Regulation up to a point is fine, like needing a certificate from the Health department to operate a restaurant or other benign but helpful forms of government doing a service. Luxotica is also not an American company so I'd imagine you couldn't regulate them anyway. Hell Apple is damn near a monopoly it controls over half the smart phone smart watch and tablet market (or did) and there is still healthy competition.

Who the fuck pays over $400 for a pair of glasses? Hillary maybe, or Oprah, or Paris Hilton. But if you have access to the internet and still believe the fake narratives in the Adam Ruins Everything series then you deserve $400 glasses.

Progressive lenses that correct for my astigmatism in frames that will last a few years *and* not make me look like Milhouse can easily run over $400. Would you like to laugh at my buddy that pays hundreds for orthopaedic shoes when you can get shoes for $10 at Walmart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Progressive lenses that correct for my astigmatism in frames that will last a few years *and* not make me look like Milhouse can easily run over $400. Would you like to laugh at my buddy that pays hundreds for orthopaedic shoes when you can get shoes for $10 at Walmart?

I thought you moose-cockers had free everything. My lenses require a very complicated correction that isn't by any means normal. It's an unusual prescription and I could go look at my prescription and prove it. So yeah, I think it's plain stupid to believe that you have to pay $400 for good glasses. Maybe Canadians are just stupid to begin with? Judging from the RSP input from your fellows up there I'd put money on that. But not $400.

Is a guy who needs orthopedic shoes and has to pay for them himself the way socialized medicine works up there? Down here you can get that stuff for free unless you're making a ton of money.

Here's a picture of me, looking fucking awesome, in my not-$400 complicated prescription, color-shifting, Ray-Bans:

Luxotica can go suck it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Here's a picture of me, looking fucking awesome, in my not-$400 complicated prescription, color-shifting, Ray-Bans

Nice beard! (Not sarcasm, since it reads pretty easy either way. It's a good look.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Between Wall Street, the big banks, and crap like this, I'd say we need more constrains on capitalism, not fewer.

What kind of "constraints" are you proposing....price controls?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Here's a picture of me, looking fucking awesome, in my not-$400 complicated prescription, color-shifting, Ray-Bans

Nice beard! (Not sarcasm, since it reads pretty easy either way. It's a good look.)

Thanks? I was actually fishing for a complement on my superb taste in under $400 a pair eyewear. I do like beards though and since a lot of men can't grow them I figure it's my obligation to carry the torch for the follically challenged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Ferret

Separating the several different aspects of the business that the company currently holds a near-monopoly over for starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Thanks? I was actually fishing for a complement on my superb taste in under $400 a pair eyewear. I do like beards though and since a lot of men can't grow them I figure it's my obligation to carry the torch for the follically challenged.

As someone forever locked at a 5 o'clock shadow (at best), it is appreciated.

Shades look good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Ferret

Separating the several different aspects of the business that the company currently holds a near-monopoly over for starters.

Here, let me help you to gain the knowledge of the Ancients, those who have long kept the secrets of how a free market works to serve the least informed and most helpless among all Gawd's children:

http://bfy.tw/7imX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
like needing a certificate from the Health department to operate a restaurant or other benign but helpful forms of government doing a service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Here, let me help you to gain the knowledge of the Ancients, those who have long kept the secrets of how a free market works to serve the least informed and most helpless among all Gawd's children:

http://bfy.tw/7imX

Actually I just typed "glasses" into google search and two of the top four entries were discount eyewear sites. So like we've already solved the problem of overpriced eyewear.

Another example of "ohmygodtheresaproblemletspassalaw" from a place of ignorance. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, as, naturally, all of us are ignorant of the vast majority of what there is to know. But of course, if you are ignorant, you shouldn't presume to tell other people how they must do things (it's likely that they know better than you do how to best handle their particular situation.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! A cad perhaps, but no bounder.
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertarian paradise - you always have the freedom of choic e to be nearly blind and not drive etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:

I call bullshit. You don't like to shave. Same reason I have my beard. Plus, the chicks dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Luxotica can go suck it.

Since Luxotica owns Ray-Ban, I guess they just sucked your $210.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I don't know exactly what you prescription, but if you shop online you should be able to get even progressive prescriptions for less than $100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Ferret

There's rationale to doing that, definitely.

Gets tricky when one group says that leads to inefficiencies and the other says it doesn't, but that's workable.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
aiabx wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I don't know exactly what you prescription, but if you shop online you should be able to get even progressive prescriptions for less than $100

It's not the cheapest glass and I get someone who knows what they are doing to fit them properly. Shoes and glasses I buy from real live people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, interesting. I'm pretty grateful that my vision isn't too terrible and I basically haven't bothered to wear my glasses at all. That said vertical integration of also the insurance company though is alarming, the supply and control also of the primary POS though isn't unexpected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are paying for the service then. I took a chance and bought online last time around. Came in the mail, worked great, paid like 1/4 the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
aiabx wrote:
It's not the cheapest glass and I get someone who knows what they are doing to fit them properly. Shoes and glasses I buy from real live people.
googoo "Dollar Tree"-$1 'glasses' bought for yet another, since they lacked the means for several even. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Because anarchy is so much better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Because anarchy is so much better
devil ~"MAL~Wartists"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.