Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Just read the rulebook.

Under the header of 'no talking' it says:

'Players may not talk to one another, except to say "pass", "launch" or "time out". Gestures and non-language vocalizations are also allowed.

I assume they meant are also NOT allowed? Or are those things actually allowed? The reason I'm doubting what's right is because of the weird grammatical structure of that sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not speak words.
You may not use a non-verbal language, such as Sign Language.
You may not show the other players the card in your hand.

You may use gibberish, or grunts, or non-word aural communication.
You may point at things and use gestures.

So you cannot say, "does anyone have a red energy?" But you could play a rocket that needs a red energy, and then point at it and make a noise to alert that you need it.

Or you could point at someone's red shirt and hold up three fingers and hope that someone catches on that you have three red energy and are looking to see if someone has a fourth. If that becomes a standard way of communicating during the game, it is the opinion of the designer that you have created a non-verbal language and you may not use it any more.

You may use words to communicate game state, such as indicating that you've launched a rocket, or that people need to draw cards, or that you need to pause the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
'Players may not talk to one another, except to say "pass", "launch" or "time out". Gestures and non-language vocalizations are also allowed.
The reason I'm doubting what's right is because of the weird grammatical structure of that sentence.

If you leave out the first part, it makes more sense:
Quote:
Players may...say "pass", "launch" or "time out". Gestures and non-language vocalizations are also allowed

Having one sentence that mentions what you can't do and then what you can doesn't make the second sentence incorrect or invalid English, but does end up being slightly awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
Under the header of 'no talking' it says:

Makes sense to me.

'Talk' and 'non-language vocalizations' are not the same thing.

So one can be allowed and one not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.