9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: New Board Game Name Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kit Alexander
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on lengths of board game names? The reason I ask is that my gaming group is having trouble nailing down the name of the game we are developing.

For some background it is a game about traveling across the board in a post-apocalyptic (the catastrophe is probably a meteor strike at this point but we want the option to make flavor expansions) earth to get to a settlement/shelter/haven while surviving and collecting the most resources. The art is a blend of gritty and comical.

The ones we are tossing around are below and if any one has any suggestions for the missing pieces or additional names we would love the input!

Professor (LastName)'s Guide to the End of the World
Doomsday/Doomsday Road
Welcome to Mudwallow (or another fun word for the name of the shelter)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what you call it, it's going to get shortened to either an acronym or a single word or two by the community.

I'd personally try to influence that as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
No matter what you call it, it's going to get shortened to either an acronym or a single word or two by the community.

So not, "Survival Highway: Invader Town"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Alexander
msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

That's a good point. We are already shortening it in our notes so maybe we need to be more thoughtful about what we call it casually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Alexander
msg tools
mbmbmb
spoon wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

So not, "Survival Highway: Invader Town"

Hah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Last Run
Race The Apocalypse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitosp wrote:
Professor (LastName)'s Guide to the End of the World
Doomsday/Doomsday Road
Welcome to Mudwallow (or another fun word for the name of the shelter)
Thanks!

I say combine all three, and call it The Road to Mudwallow: a Travel Guide for the End of the World, but refer to it as just "Mudwallow" in conversation as a convenient shorthand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, don't use a colon. The "Game Name: Blah Blah About the Game" format has been sooo overdone. Looking back, people will roll their eyes and assume it was just another flash-in-the-pan Kickstarter game.

To really stand the test of time, your game's name needs to be part of a new paradigm. I'm thinking the ampersand is the next big thing designers will be using to make their game stand out. There are none of the negative connotations associated with colons, plus it just sounds cool... Ampersand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Alexander
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your input; it gave us lots to think about!

Hopefully there will be more posts about (drum roll) The Survivors' Guide to the End of the World, or as it will be colloquially know, Survivor's Guide as we move forward with the design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.