Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading of the rules (which admittedly may be flawed), it looks like some of the German TFs may start the game overstacked. Is this correct? The C2 value of the Germans is 4, so they're allowed 4 tactical units per Task Force. It seems from the set-up that the 85th Infantry Division (6 tactical units) and 245th Infantry Division (5 tactical units) start overstacked. If this is right, what effect does it have moving forward in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacking is unlimited, but you can't have more than the C2 value in a TF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the stacking limit in a TF is equal to the C2 value for that side, some of those units have to be left behind when/if that TF moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Since the stacking limit in a TF is equal to the C2 value for that side, some of those units have to be left behind when/if that TF moves.

Ok, that was what I thought, but it does bring another question to mind. Does the German player have to use a G-1 marker to reorganize these Task Forces before moving them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes adding or removing a Tactical Unit to/from a TF requires a G-1 chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And to be clear, a hex can contain both TF counter(s) with TU(s) in its display box and TU(s) not part of the TF(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thought initially. The rules state that due to C2 limitations some German TU must be set up independent of TF's. IIRC there are two instances of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are two instances where at setup you have more German units in a hex than the German C2 limit: 85th and 245th Divisions.

However, two things:

Firstly, as has been pointed out, there is a limit of how many units can be in a Task Force, but stacking of Tactical Units in a hex is unlimited. Rule 9.1.5.
So, in those two cases above, you can have up to 4 of the 5 (or 6) units in the hex in the TF, but the reference in 4.0 2. to "must be detached" only holds if you put the full 4 in the HQ.
But it's not even necessary for you to have any units in the 85xx and 245xx TF HQ at all!
You could leave them as a collection of individual Tactical Units - though it would not be very efficient to move them around or fight them, as a G-chit applies to only one unit at a time, whether it's a full-up TF or a wee battalion.

Secondly, the line at the bottom of the Set-up chart says: "Underline: Tactical units part of Task Force or in adjacent hex. Task Force HQ in hex."
So those Tactical Units not only aren't required to be in the Task Force HQ, they aren't required to be in the Task Force HQ's hex either!
You can spread them out to be adjacent to the TF HQ hex if you want to control more ground at start.

In the original (Microgame Design Group) version of the game, this text was repeated in the notes for each and every division it applied to.
Tom thought it was repetitious, and to save space in layout reasoned that if he just put the text once at the bottom of the sheet, with the graphic reminder of the underline, then everyone would see it and read it.
I agreed with him.
I see that we were wrong.

shake

Brian

PS: Rule 4.0 2. says Tactical Units can set up as part of a Task Force already (i.e. on the OOB Mat). You do not need to expend a G-1 chit to put them there in the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
PS: Rule 4.0 2. says Tactical Units can set up as part of a Task Force already (i.e. on the OOB Mat). You do not need to expend a G-1 chit to put them there in the first turn.

Right. My concern was more that if a TF was set up with more units than it can move/fight with that a player would have to use a G-1 chit before being able to use said task force. You clarified that such a situation is neither possible nor necessary, though, so problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.