Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity how would you guys rate this one to Cuba Libra (CL) I have FitL and it is great fun, but I find overwhelming for new players to get into.

I am looking at buying one more COIN and thinking of this one or Cuba Libra. I may end up buying both. Is there room for both? Are they different enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both - definitely different enough mechanics and gameplay wise for sure. Other than the perceived complexity level compared to the other COIN Games and the physical size of the map board, I'm not sure I see that much in the way of strong similarities between the two games any more than other games in the series to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're certainly different enough. I prefer Falling Sky, myself:

* The factions are all more interesting and distinct. In Cuba Libre the Syndicate kind of has to make its own fun.
* The map is more interesting, compared to CL's basically linear map.
* The events just felt swingier in CL. Not sure I can quantify that; I think it had to do with the smaller deck plus smaller / more restrictive map exaggerating the swings of fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your criterion for comparison? This is a bit vague!
If this is about complexity (which one is more accessible), I vote for Cuba Libre for newcomers (see my thoughts over here) but this clearly does not apply to you

CL and FS are my first two COIN games and I definitely think there is room for both... They have a very different feel. And I bet other experienced COIN players might say the same for any other game in the series!
If I had to pick only one, it would be FS as it provides a richer experience in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played FS, but I can attest that Cuba Libre is excellent, and suggest you pick the theme that most interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Falling Sky probably the most out of all the COIN games. Don't get me wrong i love them all but this one felt the most dynamic. I really like the fact the board state can change a lot since attacks can be brutal and pieces can fly off the board. However where in the other games there is a build up and then some pieces come off but then people just re-add them. Cuba is the best however as an intro into the system. I think having them both in a collection is great. If you had them both you can use cuba for new players then graduate them to falling sky then eventually they can try FITL. The whole COIN series is amazing it mostly comes to theme interest and complexity many times for people. I own them all and love them all. Every game offers a different experience and something unique to appreciate about each. You can't go wrong really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like them both I would recommend Cuba Libre. I think if you are using it as a way to step up to FitL the way the factions work and the operations that are available will port more easily than from Falling Sky which has a whole different set of strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to present a sliiightly different opinion:

I'd say that FS feels a bit more streamlined in terms of rules, and understanding one faction translates a bit more linearly between them. The game is actually slightly longer playing than CL and learning the relationship between map spaces is more complicated to excel at, but there's a feeling like (with exception to the Aduai) that there's a clearer tactical play if you're coming from either hex war games or more Euro map games.

So while CL is the easiest of the COIN games, I think the FS is easier to comprehend what you're supposed to do as a player if you haven't engaged the system before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone those comments were very helpful! I know it was kinda vague but was curious in getting lots of different opinions. Based on reviews and comments I was leaning towards getting Falling Sky and was curious if I should get Cuba Libre as well.

I think I will hold off getting Cuba Libre for now but will probably purchase it later, just as theme is less interesting compared to FS. I have also heard multiple times that people think FS is the best in the series so very interested in trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but I find the history of Cuba Libre so rich that it makes the already incredible gameplay really hard to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwell84 wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but I find the history of Cuba Libre so rich that it makes the already incredible gameplay really hard to beat.

As a student of Latin I feel the same way about Falling Sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Falling Sky last night, excited to try it. If I enjoy it I will probably end up buying Cuba Libre and probably pendragon...whistle

I had Cuba Libre in the cart for free shipping. But, bought Captain Sonar instead. Either way thanks everyone for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the theme to a COIN game is pretty important.

I bought Andean Abyss and that theme turned out to be no interest to me at all - I just didnt get the game. I sold it (for a profit ) - and bought Falling Sky instead.

FS has a great theme and from this myself and another fellow gamer are developing an AI bot for the game: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23693607#23693607
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.