2 Posts

Pacific War» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hypothetical Unit Stats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rider
msg tools
mb
I recently picked up EotS and Pacific War and I'm curious if anyone has done any noodling on converting hypothetical units, such as:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/furamain.htm#ijn

into Pacifc War terms, I've started making a list of units and their stats on Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xJ7tU7qJuQh3RRhipzwd..., if it's against TOS to share this, I'll edit and remove)

To me it looks like making later (real and hypothetical) units for Pacific War would be a matter of finding the closest match for displacement/armor and then matching the armament, so the Oregon City class heavy cruiser isn't really any different from the Baltimore class.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carper
Japan
flag msg tools
That may be true with the specific case of the Oregon City modification from the Baltimore class, but would be far more problematic generally.

Note that the Furashita designs are almost totally blue sky, the name really saying it all. I suppose the obvious variant grounded more in historical possibility would be a Bywater variant, positing the war happening some ten years earlier, perhaps with the various units that fell victim to the Washington Treaty being included. But if these are to be more than complete handwaving, a lot of effort would have to go into looking at armor schemes, firecontrol, torpedo protection, cruising radius, etc. If the Japanese No. 13 class is just modelled with Yamato for a stand-in, there isn't a great deal of point.

Admittedly, throwing in the likes of the US ZRs would be sexy, and aircraft generally could be reasonably back-dated I suppose. But one of the things that most alternate history attempts at this I've seen gloss over is how thoroughly the Treaty's battleship limitations had knock on effects on nearly all warship types. 10,000 ton "tinclad" cruisers were essentially a treaty artifact, and the design of carriers was also heavily influenced. It's actually a very interesting thought experiment, but pretty involved once you've eaten that first potato chip.

I suppose my reaction is that while something marginal like a super-Yamato or Midway class could always be estimated, it sort of risks falling between the stools of "trivial" and "more trouble than it's really worth", but who knows.

Nice job on the spreadsheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.