Tatu Hirvonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
This case is pretty complex but I try my best to describe it..

So our survivors hunted down a White Lion and we got plenty of resources. If I understood right, the resources are not recorded until the phase 9 of the settlement phase.

According to the official FAQ, the nemesis encounter triggers a departing survivors phase for this encounter (when the encounter is over, just continue from the timeline phase). Our play group didn't realize this and we thought that the same survivors should be sent that just returned from the previous hunt - carrying our loot.

Well, the Butcher butchered us. Followed by this, the resources our survivors carried from previous hunt were lost. Additionally, Butcher wiped all recorded resources from the settlement at the aftermath of the encounter.

So my question finally is, am I correct with this? This would be good to know in the future
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a normal Nemesis encounter, you depart normally, so you get to archive resources normally. In this particular case, the outcome does not change, because losing to the butcher has the same effect (and worse).

A nemesis encounter makes you skip the hunt phase, and that's all.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
In a normal Nemesis encounter, you depart normally, so you get to archive resources normally. In this particular case, the outcome does not change, because losing to the butcher has the same effect (and worse).

A nemesis encounter makes you skip the hunt phase, and that's all.


This.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tatu Hirvonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
This particular encounter was the event to introduce the Butcher. But the thing I apparently missed is that the butcher event doesn't trigger during the settlement phase, but instead of the "normal" departing to hunt quarry, we'll defend the settlement from the Butcher?

In other words, we had a chance to spend the resources first before the showdown? What a bummer to find this out now :/

Thanks for responses!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, back when the first Kickstarter games were fulfilled there were three or four threads writing exactly this: the poor butcher does not get an intro event, so many players are just confused.

No worries, you did the right thing in not checking here to avoid spoilers: you got the brutality of a nemesis for the full effect, that is how you are supposed to do it. The rest are details.

Anyway, to say that loud: the butcher encounter is not a story event. If you check the timeline, story events have an open book icon, while nemesis showdowns have two crossed swords. Just follow the instructions in the rulebook by the letter and you will be fine. Remember to reread new rules until you know them perfectly, and even then, read them again (it turns out that I played bone witch easy mode for eight months ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tatu Hirvonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, this helped a lot! Those tiny details now make perfectly sense! And yes, we were trying to protect ourselves from spoilers so we didin't dig through forums. We'll keep re-reading the rules, good advice ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
(it turns out that I played bone witch easy mode for eight months ).


Okay. Now I want to know the story behind "Bone Witch easy mode."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually quite simple:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I endeavored there once, one survivor got blinded and I somehow convinced myself that it was actually a flavor of the blind severe injury (I guess that I misled myself because if you get both two times, you retire the survivor). Long story short, I kept burning dried acanthus on returning survivors to avoid the severe injury. That way, I never got too bad results (and the occasional good one)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
It's actually quite simple:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I endeavored there once, one survivor got blinded and I somehow convinced myself that it was actually a flavor of the blind severe injury (I guess that I misled myself because if you get both two times, you retire the survivor). Long story short, I kept burning dried acanthus on returning survivors to avoid the severe injury. That way, I never got too bad results (and the occasional good one)


Heh, I see.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In our case, we TPK'd on a showdown prior to the Bone Witch, so we were rid of her early without much fuss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.