Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friends and I are looking for a really good campaign style board game, where it is all co-op. We tried Imperial Assault and Descent, and although the games are killer games, we don't like the fact that one of us is playing against the other.

I was hoping some experts here had a good recommendation. We want to play a game where I characters grow with equipment upgrades and levels and such. We have tried the D&D series board games but with only one level it gets repetitive. We tried Dungeon Saga and we liked it but it has no real campaign mode where you keep your stuff and level up.

Any suggestions? Card games are good too if you know of any.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Moderski
United States
Mcfarland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
The two games that come to mind for me are Pandemic Legacy and the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Our group has played both and enjoyed both. The Pathfinder Adventure Card game gets a bit repetitive but is fun.

Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PACG does get repetitive but it has it's charm. Unfortunately I think the phone app is as far as you should go with it.

I'm interested in following this thread as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
They don't like the original Pandemic (I do but they don't) how different is legacy?

And I own the PACG Rise of the Runelords with all the expansions. for multiple players it gets too repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster if you have money and patience for it to come back into print (keep on your radar). Worth every dollar if you can find it used for a reasonable price (expect $400). Word is there is a "discount" version of the game in the works.

The new Arkham Horror: The Card Game is a co-op campaign card game. I believe it's due out in October.

Gloomhaven is also coming out in November-ish and will sell retail I believe. I think this is everything you're looking for and more.

So none of these are quite readily available but I think they all are sort of what you want. I think the "co-op campaign" system is sort of a cult of the new thing and I hope/expect more games to come out with that function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Kingdom Death: Monster if you have money and patience for it to come back into print (keep on your radar). Worth every dollar if you can find it used for a reasonable price (expect $400).

KD:M is one of the more intense experiences I've had in tabletop gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
79strat wrote:
Kingdom Death: Monster if you have money and patience for it to come back into print (keep on your radar). Worth every dollar if you can find it used for a reasonable price (expect $400).

KD:M is one of the more intense experiences I've had in tabletop gaming.

Absolutely. I'm $1200 in and own all the expansions - but I was "lucky" enough to buy it all when it was in print. Still kick myself for passing up the $275 Black Friday deal that they had going in 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
They don't like the original Pandemic (I do but they don't) how different is legacy?

Quite different in that it has an overall story arc, but not very different in terms of mechanics. If they don't like the original they probably won't like Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
icechamber wrote:

Quite different in that it has an overall story arc, but not very different in terms of mechanics. If they don't like the original they probably won't like Legacy.

This is important. I didn't like the original that much and liked Legacy even less. So don't get it if you don't "love" the original because you'll need to play Legacy up to 24 times to complete it... that's a lot of Pandemic.

Oh I forgot:

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. I have it in an auction for sale! Good game. Co-op, cheap, and a 5 part campaign. Get it!

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients is another one. RPG lite type of game I believe. Full campaign/co-op. This one is a mixed bag from what I understand, people either love it or hate it. I wouldn't buy it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Aben
msg tools
I literally just ordered Space Cadets: Away Missions after the input I got from my own recommendation thread, then I watched Rahdos video on it and he totally sold it.

I also own:

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
along with all the chapters and I also find it a bit repetitive. I really want to love it though, just cant fully immerse myself.

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game
I also find a little dull.

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
I think is way too choppy when it comes to gameplay, they needed to refine it a bit here.

I'll let you know how Space Cadets: Away Missions is though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. I have it in an auction for sale! Good game. Co-op, cheap, and a 5 part campaign. Get it!

Where can I find that auction???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
If you've got Descent 2e, you absolutely should try it again with the recently released Road To Legend companion app. This turns Descent into a full coop experience. Better than that even, the app manages nearly all the fiddly aspects of the game giving a much more streamlined and fun experience.

The Road To Legend app has totally revived Descent for me and my sons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ryan
United States
Lee's Summit
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the phone app for Descent that takes the role of the GM for you, so that you can all be on the same team?

edit - Bryan beat me to the punch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:

Where can I find that auction???

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/214254/79strat-mini-aucti...

It's at $15 right now. The game will go OOP next February I believe. It's a good game (even if you don't buy from me!) and well worth a try. The campaign isn't SUPER intense, you start with 4 cards and can upgrade them as you go. You also get to buy items/"train" (that's how you earn cards) between missions and there's 5 "missions" in the campaign. Each mission takes about 1-2 hours and it's a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I picked up Descent 2.0 today..... got a great deal for a new in the box as well (only $20 got to love auctions lol).

So I will try that out. But keep the suggestions coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders or Shadowrun: Crossfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Shadowrun: Crossfire, but I'm not sure I would call it a campaign game -- it has persistent characters, but no scenario progression with story.

Legends of Andor is a puzzly fantasy game played over a number of scenarios that tell a consistent story, but character progress is not permanent. One of my favourite games, but not a "kill all the monsters" game -- it's about solving the puzzle that each legend presents.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) has a campaign for the base game, but it would require you to buy both (I still highly recommend this route, because it is an awesome game, and the expansion makes it even better). There is a little bit of confusion with versions right now, though.

Gloomhaven (as mentioned above, not yet released) would definitely fit the bill, but be warned that it is massive and epic and sprawling and not "just another game to get".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
icechamber wrote:

I only played a few of the chapters, but I thought the story arc actually added to the game, because it changed the scenarios from chapter to chapter... 3 or 4 others in my gaming group went through the chapters that I wasn't available for.

another new game that I really like is Mansions of Madness.. It have multiple scenarios which are different from each other, but not really a campaign, where each chapter builds on the next...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi G
msg tools
I am surprised no one has mentioned Mice and Mystics yet. It is a fun co-op game where everyone is working together to beat the game. Multiple classes/characters, sub quests, character progression and a good story. The game also has a number of expansions so the fun keeps on going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that_luigi wrote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Mice and Mystics yet. It is a fun co-op game where everyone is working together to beat the game. Multiple classes/characters, sub quests, character progression and a good story. The game also has a number of expansions so the fun keeps on going.

I guess you could say something similar for zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is my groups absolute fav for co-op.

We also like to play the D&D boardgames once in a while, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game being our fav.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Here to second Galaxy Defenders! Great xampaign, wonderfully tactical, and alot of fun for 1-5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
How about a Fantasy Adventure Game which you can play solo or Coop?

No GM required

5 minute set up, zero downtime, 1 hour playtime?

Campaign system meaning you will upgrade a talent, kit, outfit or weapon after every adventure.

You will have to choose though - do you want to upgrade that rope for a climbing kit to help with climbing and exploration or broaden out your inventory and take say a herbalism kit instead?

With your talents choose carefully, these will give you abilities in the game but also count as your life force so you will literally exhaust or drain yourself using them.

Always terrified of appearing spammy as it's not my intent but you may wish to check out Legends Untold as it seems to hit a number of the points you have asked about.

Happy adventuring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ooh, good shout. Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun: Crossfire has what you are looking for as far as character leveling and progression, but is a card game not a board game.

Gears of War: The Board Game is OOP, but I've seen the prices for it drop down quite low on ebay. It doesn't have character leveling, but it does have a campaign system is entirely co-op. The card play in it is fantastic. It is very challenging as the cards you hold also represent your life. One of the better AI's in a board game.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is OOP, as well but only recently, and is a card game rather than a board game. You should still be able to find at a pretty good price. The mini-character expansions are another story. While they add quite a bit of replay value to the game, they will be very difficult to find without paying inflated prices. This game has a single campaign of 5 missions with character leveling and progression.

Assault on Doomrock is yet another card game that has character leveling and progression, but lacks a campaign. It is near impossible to beat, and needed some variant rules for my group to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.