Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Looking at the upcoming expansions has got me thinking. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Varney
msg tools
Does anyone know if the items from an expansion, that are added to a communal supply (like system tiles), are clearly marked from which expansion they're from?

Like many of us, I have access to several people I can play with via meetup, local store communities, etc. Multiple people in this sea of my potential victims will be buying the base game (myself included). Not all of those will necessarily grab each expansion as they're released.

I'm one that will get everything as it's released but, it would be nice for some spoonhead to be able to invest just in the Cardassians, bring it to a game where the base owner doesn't own it and, easily be able to sort their stuff out to take home at the end of the game.

Would also be kind of cool if, in the future, GF9 could release the base game's factions as if they were their own expansions. Same dimensions and graphic design as the new ones. They wouldn't even need to include new content. Use the systems and stuff from the original base game, just divided up amongst the three factions. They could even release a new base kit that included nothing more than the rules, dice and, empty box to keep it all in. They wouldn't even be close to the first company to sell an empty box, just to store the other smaller boxes they want you to buy.

If that was the way it was released from the start, they would justifiably be crucified for trying to force us to individually buy what should just be included in one box. However, a little bit down the road, why not? Yes, I know most of us are going to find it for cheaper than that but, for the average customer browsing the shelf, $100 msrp can push people away. It would be nice to have the option of investing in only one faction to plug and play together with other players that have done the same thing. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I would expect if not marked. The mini manual that they come with would list the components at the least by name.

Alternatively. Take a photo of the components with your phone and just refer to it after items got mixed it. Longer way sure. But will still do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
I would expect if not marked. The mini manual that they come with would list the components at the least by name.

If the expansions add cards to the exploration deck, it is almost certain that they won't be listed by name. It will say "20 exploration cards" or whatever. Similarly, I doubt they will list every planet name on the "10 locations" in the box. Unless GF9 puts a symbol on the cards/locations to mark them, it could be difficult to separate them out after they have been shuffled in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing says you have to mix everything in when you play. so if someone wants to play cardasians all you have to do is use the player board, ships techs ect. all the systems and exploration cards can stay separate for that game. not as much variety maybe but i would rather have that then trying to sort out all that stuff at the end, especially if its late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GF9's Firefly had all expansion components marked by set. I see no reason for them not to do this with an even more diverse catalog of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I hope they will. I think they will probably do it in the same location as the 50th anniversary cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
I hope they will. I think they will probably do it in the same location as the 50th anniversary cards.

true i forgot about that. i didnt see anything on the planets though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
John1701 wrote:

true i forgot about that. i didnt see anything on the planets though.

The 50th anniversary cards were the only thing special. All the planets were already included.
We haven't seen any symbols in the promo pics for the expansions, but that doesn't really mean anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
GF9's Firefly had all expansion components marked by set. I see no reason for them not to do this with an even more diverse catalog of expansions.

GF9's great Spartacus game also had all expansion cards marked by set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.