$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have seen Tiny Epic Galaxies, but I have heard a few gamers say there's other games that play better solo.

Ninety percent of the time it's just me on my lonesome when I play, but occasionally my son will join in. We like quick, light games, but both love asymmetrical games, heavy ones even such as War of the Ring or Star Wars: Rebellion. But I can't tell you how much it saddens me to see the two examples above just sat on the shelf gathering dust; the last time we played WotR was February!!!

So I was wondering if really there were any other games that play really well with two (not co-op), hidden objectives would be great, but also play well with a solo variant? Secret goals are a luxury I know, so I'll consider any suggestion for a competitive game.

I also looked at Race for the Galaxy, but I wasn't struck on it that much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago with Archipelago: Solo Expansion. Matches all 3 criteria. Race has no secret objectives and I'm not really a fan of it, though play it from time to time.

For some solo recommendations:

Mage Knight
Friday
Wipers Salient
Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the games within the Legendary system, see below, that can be played well solo or with two. Keep in mind that if you want expansions you will want to go with the Marvel core set. If you want something with a little more meat and a darker theme go with the Aliens one.

Core Sets for Legendary
Marvel
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game

AVP
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game

Other Themes
Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game
Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China

Another deck builder to look into is Thunderstone. The advance version has solo rules implemented already into the game, and word on the street is that a third printing is incoming.

Onirim can be played with one or two and has a short play time and is low on the learning scale.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game can be played solo or with two. Granted there are not clear solo rules, but it can easily be done following the two player rules and playing two hands essentially. Also there are not secret objectives in the two player variant, but there are in 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun: Crossfire may also be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hah, here I go again recommending Scythe again :-D Now it does come more into its own with more people and the secret objectives are just one of many things to do, not something that will dictate your whole game, but me and my GF have enjoyed it tremendously! So much in fact, it's now my GF's TOP game, and she normally prefers lighter stuff like Ticket to ride or Dominion. It might be a bit too peaceful for your tastes, but if it turns out to be, you can employ the automatic player(s) that you would use when playing solo in your 2p games as well! And, the automa has several levels of difficulty to beat.

+1 to Archipelago with Solo expansion, awesome game as well

+1 Mage Knight though it has no secrets

Since you like Star Wars, I'd also consider Imperial Assault - it fills the light, (fairly)quick, heavy assymetry thing and there should be an app coming that will enable solo play, so you can have your own campaign with an AI and one with your son...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game can be played solo or with two. Also there are not secret objectives in the two player variant

That's not true, 2p you can either play pure coop, but you can also play a "prisoner's dilemma" variant, where you each get two secret objective, one positive and one traitor - and if you survive and both fulfill the positive one, you both win, if you r morale drops and one player fulfills the traitor objective he wins, if you BOTH fulfill the traitor objective you both lose.

However, I would not recommend this for solo play, it is somewhat more story and less game/challenge than the previsouly mentioned ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks John for your suggestions.

Mmmm, Mage Knight is not for me I'm afraid, & Friday and Wipers are they not solo only? I've been considering Legends for a while, although it is a co-op. Not come across Archipelago before, so just had a quick look, & it could certainly be a contender.

I've tried a couple of the Legendary games Mike (Marvel & Alien), & it seems Deck Builders just don't do it for me. I think Eminent Domain is in that category & it was another game I didn't like, so I think Thunderstone is out. I'd love to get Onirim, but it's like looking for rocking horse muck trying to bag a copy in the UK. I've tried Dead of Winter 3 times & again it just doesn't hit the sweet spot, a bit disappointing actually.

I'll look at Shadowrun, after all Geoffrey, it's a big hit with Rahdo, but I fear it will have the same impact on me as the Deck Builders above.

Scythe isn't for me Tomas, I didn't back it on KS & I've seen nothing to make me change my mind on that. Quite the contrary, I'm pleased I didn't back it. I do own Imperial Assault, but it's sort of gone the same way as Rebellion & WotR above, so highly anticipating an app release to play solo!

My son seems quite keen on games, especially when I show him You Tube videos before purchasing. But what tends to happen is after half a dozen plays, I can't get him to play again: verrrrry frustrating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
umm... why is nobody besides me is asking "How can a solo game have a secret objective??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
umm... why is nobody besides me is asking "How can a solo game have a secret objective??"

And yet this thread is evidence that games exist which have both secret objectives and enable solo play :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago is great. Very thematic civilization building type of game without a lot of nonsense. One of the most unique games I've played, very good. Secret objectives galore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
glouie wrote:

And yet this thread is evidence that games exist which have both secret objectives and enable solo play :-)

okay, but I still don't get how you can have a solo game with a secret objective? who is the objective a secret from, if you're the only one playing? please explain/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The secret objective will only be applicable in a two or more player game, as per Tiny Epic Galaxies, but it will also have a variant which allows the game to be played solo. TEG has this, but the secret agenda isn't applicable in the solo version. As you say, I don't think it could in a solo game; it would play out normally solo perhaps either with a simulated opponent, or achieving a certain score and possibly some other win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The hidden agenda/objective is a mechanism I enjoy, so I as wondering if there was a game that included it, but there was a separate rule set to allow solo play.

The more I look at Archipelago, the more I like the look of it. I'll see if the son likes it, but if not, would it still be worth a buy to play solo only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
The hidden agenda/objective is a mechanism I enjoy, so I as wondering if there was a game that included it, but there was a separate rule set to allow solo play.

The more I look at Archipelago, the more I like the look of it. I'll see if the son likes it, but if not, would it still be worth a buy to play solo only?

I am not entirely sure as I personally haven't played the solo game. Maybe checkout the forum/reviews for it, seems to be some praise and some distaste. How old is your son? My wife loves it and always beats me There's a lot of rules but they all make sense in practice, and from what I understand the solo version is a fairly thematic puzzle type of game. Maybe buy the game, try it out with your son, and see what you guys think of it. If he doesn't like it, and you do, buy the solo expansion, and if you both hate it well, sell it!

And yeah, he means 2 player games that employ secret objectives, but also have a solo variant (that doesn't use the secret objective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig has hidden objectives (you can also complete specific rooms to draw additional secret objectives). It also has pretty satisfying solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes John, that's probably what will happen!

Mmmm, not considered Castles Joe; never looked into it that deeply. I'll have to have a closer peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Akrotiri only plays 2 players by default but there's a fan made solo variant. I have not tried it solo, but I really like the game with 2.

There's temple maps that you buy during the game that are secret to each player; the game is about creating the conditions of the map on the game board so that you can excavate a temple at the appropriate location. There's also secret goals which give you points for temples placed in certain ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Yes John, that's probably what will happen!

Mmmm, not considered Castles Joe; never looked into it that deeply. I'll have to have a closer peek.

Hopefully you enjoy it. And yes Friday and Wipers Salient are strictly solo, but are fantastic short and cheap games you might like for that solo fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.