Subject: Adding a little more card-play strategy to KM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I developed this rule for my re-hash of KM (Bella Rosarum v2) but it should work with ye olde KM as well.
For some added spice and less randomness, try the following:

Each player starts the game with 2 Event Cards (face down but known to that player).
At the start of their go, they draw another Event Card, without revealing it to the other players.
If this card is a Storms At Sea or an Embassy, it must be played immediately, and the effects carried out for all to see (or sea!).
If not, the player can choose to 'play' one of the now 3 Event Cards they hold.
If it is a Free Move or some other card that can be retained, they just 'declare' it and it goes to the side, for use at any time, as per KM RAW.
Other types of card are played out as normal.

e.g. The Buckingham faction has Plague of London and a Writ in their hand. They draw a Free Move card. They choose to declare the Writ card. They now have the Plague and the Free Move card as their 2 Event Cards. The Writ card goes to the side and is ready to play at a future time. By comparison, the Free Move card is not ready to play, yet.

Players should thus always have 2 undeclared Event Cards at any time. They may or may not have other Event Cards available for play (Free Moves, Writs, Parliament May Be Summoned) as before.

We used this rule modification in the latest game I played and it really added an extra dimension to proceedings. Although it was a Bella Rosarum playtest, the concept should work for all flavours of KM.

(You may notice that this has the effect of players 'creating' peasants revolts and plagues. The former is historically not far from the mark, since rival factions _did_ deliberately stir up trouble in various locales to put the ruling faction off balance; having players determine plagues is more for fun, but then Plagues in KM are really just there for fun anyway, since plagues played almost no significant part in the WotR. Both types of event can now be used strategically by players and this is the beauty of the rule, although with only a choice of 3 cards at most, their options aren't limitless.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno I think the plagues should be played immediately too ... its bad enough when someone risks staying in London or York and the random draw makes them pay but an opponent holding it to play at an opportune time I don't think I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try it first.
You only have 3 cards to play from.
We played with this rule and it worked just fine.
Plus it added some tension and player interest, now that we each had some events 'up our sleeve'.

(Also, to be fair, in my Bella Rosarum I've downgraded the effects of Plagues. I now call them 'Plagues & Strife' and they merely strip off any extra recruits you have. Still, no one would have died as a result of someone plaguing someone else in the game we played. The new rule keeps players a little more honest and less likely to hole up in some city for lengthy periods, a tactic that was not the norm during the wars.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.