Storm Over Normandy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Allied units retreating into landing areas... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...am I reading this right? If Allied units must retreat from the beaches they effectively go back to their landing craft?

If so, I might have to house rule it such that in this event, if caused by an assault or fire attack, they are eliminated - the rationale being that the units have either been annihilated or surrendered.

This is my only tiny nit pick in what is a hugely enjoyable game, incidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck McLaughlin
United States
Alpha
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about this also. But the way I reconcile this is that these units are not retreating to landing craft, but to the beaches. The men on the beaches, behind the sea wall were ineffective. I think of the units in the invasion boxes still being on those beaches. The units in the areas are off the beaches, on the hill fighting for actual control of the given area. I don't know that this is the designers intent, but it seems to "make sense".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like your rationale. I suppose, within the narrative of the game, that if Allied units are bottled up on the beaches/landing craft, they represent the seemingly endless flow of incoming troops, and although not directly involved in the crucial action, they remain a threat to the German player nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.