Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Here's an interesting counter-attack by the Germans in their first turn of scenario T5. (If I have it all right???)

The big German advantage that I see in the first turn of the game is that they start out with their mortars ready to fire.
Then, in their player turn, they get to reset all fired weapons and fire them again!

In this situation, I only have two indirect weapons available to fire, since I moved an IG to 506 to beef up defense against a possible Assault. (the Orange box gives me a 1L)

The 2 infantry companies are both reduced from a lucky defensive support shot from the 1/Werf12 Rocket Artillery Battery.

The units in 508 need to get to 708 to block 607's retreat.

If the Germans can suppress hexes 607 and 706 (and they have 2 chances to suppress against each hex.), then they will only face friction fire from units in 805.

One FF shot at 609, then a FF shot at 709. One of these shots Germans could just take a loss on one unit and pay a movement to keep going. The other shot, they have to get lucky.

If successful, an assault from 507 is at 2:1 odds against 607. The average die result will end the game. Sounds like a risk worth taking...Failure would result in terrible weakness of the line in the south...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So what ended up happening is....

None of the German's suppression attempts were successful, but they decided to move out anyways.

Then...NONE of the US's FF attempts were successful.

German's assaulted and rolled a 6 at 2:1 for a 0/1 result. One dead Brit, but now I was in good position for combat.

German's had no support for combat, Brit's made 4 shots from hex 606 achieving one suppression taking combat from 4:1 odds to 3:1. Rolled another 6 at 3:1 for 0/2 resulting in 2 British casualties and a German win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. The first couple of turns can indeed be brutal for the British due to crossing those fields and the availability of lethal German artillery, mortars, and IGs.

I've heard feedback from a few people who feel the scenario is pro-British and impossible for the Germans to win. I feel it's roughly balanced. In my playings, the Germans usually inflict some step reductions during the first couple of turns. Then the British have to walk on eggshells for the rest of the scenario so as to not lose to the German Automatic Victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played it twice and made a lot of rules mistakes in my first attempt, so I can't say much about balance, but I believe you that it probably is. At any rate, it's a fun scenario and I want to play it some more. But first, I want to finish the rest of the tutorials and get into Armor. I am really loving this game and learning a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just realized that unless ALL hexes with FF opportunities can be suppressed, it really doesn't do much good because only one unit can FF per movement in/out of field anyways and in the action phase he can shoot as many times as he wants! So...if you're going to try to suppress, might as well go for only the hex with best chance. Otherwise, there's no point to slowing up the game with pointless ranged attacks with no chance at step loss...so in my example, the attempts at suppression are pointless without range to suppress 805...glad there's all thes learning tutorials to work it all out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it usually makes sense to suppress the hex with the highest chance of successful FF. Unfortunately for the Brits, this isn't always a viable option. The Germans are often hidden from view and Dug-In.

When it is possible, the target will most often be a HMG platoon. The British units with the best chance of suppressing are typically tanks, self-spotting mortars, and off-map artillery. You'll normally want to declare multiple Ranged Attacks (say, ~3-6) to ensure that the hex is suppressed. Given that you also need your off-map artillery during the Combat Phase, is isn't always worth it to attempt this. Those units can often be put to better use. It's situation-dependent.

Trying to suppress a German AT gun before moving your British tanks is another fairly common situation that comes up in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.