Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was doing some cleaning of my wish list and there were many games that I had researched quite a bit but was still on the fence about. This time I read those games ratings comments. Generally around the 4-8 rage to exclude those who absolutely loved/hated the game.

They answered a lot of questions I still had and gave me a good idea of common likes/dislikes of the game. I thinned out my wish list considerably! Probably late to the party but just wanted to let old users (me) and new ones know that there is a wealth of information in many of the ratings comments. I now need to go back and write/expand the comments on games I've rated to help others down the road.

Thanks fellow geeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, comments are great! I've commented extensively on roughly 80 games -- many are almost full-blown reviews. There's also the nifty GeekBuddy analysis feature, which lets you see what any of your geek buddies may have commented about the game. I've amassed about 30-ish or so geeks that correlate with my tastes, and so I always have a one-click analysis of what a game might hold for me.

(There's actually a geeklist floating around that's a database of everyone who regularly comments on their game collection/plays)

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i feel like I should do this too because i do tend to rate games higher but I also choose my games very selectively and I almost know I'm going to like them before I own them. With that said, my ratings are pointless to the reader if they are not backed up with reasons why I enjoy them so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually the opposite. I prefer to read those that hate or love the game/. reading comments on why people hate a game often times gives me an idea I want the game

So, I normally make sure to write comments on those games I have a strong opinion to instead of those I'm relatively indifferent to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've definitely found that when a game has reviews, they're usually positive reviews. You really need to read through comments in order to get a more realistic impression of the game.

(I've commented on almost all games I've played. A few, I've expanded and turned into reviews.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup. Also a major part in whether I should get a game or not - though I also browse in the low and high section

I try to return the favor with a comment of my own once I have the game played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The comments are usually where I go to get a better feel for the game. It's usually why I try to write some brief comments about any games I rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.