Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
This is happening both in Sharon, VT, and in Nauvoo, IL.

It's a very weird movement to me, and the mixed responses of the natives is also fascinating.

They love the money, but hate losing the character of their towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

It's a very weird movement to me, and the mixed responses of the natives is also fascinating.

This has been going on for a number of years. Is there something that brought this to your attention now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
_sauron_
.. ~"Well, buy-bye!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
windsagio wrote:

This has been going on for a number of years. Is there something that brought this to your attention now?

I new about Nauvoo, but I saw a story on Atlas Obscura about Sharon that reminded me of it.

Regardless of how long it's been going on, it's a weird movement and worth talking about :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
The AO story:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/joseph-smiths-vermont-h...

Quote:
Smith was born on the border of what are now Sharon and South Royalton; and in 1905 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints erected a 50-foot tall granite obelisk in his honor. Despite the 80,000 tourists or so who make the pilgrimage, the communities surrounding Sharon and South Royalton remain sleepy towns among pastoral rolling green hills.

That may all change if David Hall’s dream comes to fruition. He wants to build a 21st century version of a utopic development—one with very tiny dwellings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's when they start muscling in on the casserole industry that I'll start to worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
The AO story:

Quote:
Smith was born on the border of what are now Sharon and South Royalton; and in 1905 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints erected a 50-foot tall granite obelisk in his honor. Despite the 80,000 tourists or so who make the pilgrimage, the communities surrounding Sharon and South Royalton remain sleepy towns among pastoral rolling green hills.

That may all change if David Hall’s dream comes to fruition. He wants to build a 21st century version of a utopic development—one with very tiny dwellings.

That's interesting I've never heard of David Hall before or of any such plans to build a city in Sharon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
They have the RIGHT to "live" anywhere they 'desire' JUST as long that THIS is F-A-R away from 'moi'! FREE 'bowl of soup' with 'magic-hat' "purchase" even! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
It's when they start muscling in on the casserole industry that I'll start to worry.

It isn't "muscling in" on the casserole industry. Look, we just know casseroles. If you've ever had funeral potatoes, you know what we're talking about. And if we just haaaaaaaaappen to introduce our superior brand of casseroles into your neighborhood potluck and suddenly nobody wants your inferior casseroles anymore, who is to say we "muscled in" on it? It's just the free casserole market at work.

And God.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
windsagio wrote:
The AO story:

Quote:

That's interesting I've never heard of David Hall before or of any such plans to build a city in Sharon.

For our fifth anniversary, my wife wanted to go to New England to take photos of covered bridges and lighthouses. Since I didn't care what we did because.... anniversary.... I went along with it. So on Sunday, we ended up in Sharon Vermont. Went to church there. Turns out, it isn't marginally associated with Joseph Smith. It's where he was born.

And yes, the LDS church is big on its church history stuff. So... you're gonna get some history-forcing going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
batman wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
It isn't "muscling in" on the casserole industry. Look, we just know casseroles. If you've ever had funeral potatoes, you know what we're talking about. And if we just haaaaaaaaappen to introduce our superior brand of casseroles into your neighborhood potluck and suddenly nobody wants your inferior casseroles anymore, who is to say we "muscled in" on it? It's just the free casserole market at work.

And God.
It t`was 'musseling in' "casseroles" preferably, since, M-O-R-E-! for US enjoyments. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
For our fifth anniversary, my wife wanted to go to New England to take photos of covered bridges and lighthouses. Since I didn't care what we did because.... anniversary.... I went along with it. So on Sunday, we ended up in Sharon Vermont. Went to church there. Turns out, it isn't marginally associated with Joseph Smith. It's where he was born.

And yes, the LDS church is big on its church history stuff. So... you're gonna get some history-forcing going on.
Whose MOST LDS-'games' WERE OWNS around here even? JUST & ONLY: "ply curious!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
batman wrote:

And God.
RSP educated me about a subtype of casserole called "hotdish," and from reading about it on Wikipedia I learned that sometimes the basis of hotdish is a matrix of tater tots. Let's just take a minute to savor how inspired that is: a matrix of tots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
I should probably be more patient, but here's the secret:

Although the utopia article is interesting, I mainly wanted to test Sue's theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Although the utopia article is interesting, I mainly wanted to test Sue's theory.

You mean you really didn't care about the nuance of Mormon culture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
windsagio wrote:

You mean you really didn't care about the nuance of Mormon culture?

Actually I do! I try to not stir you folks up though, damn bees.

I wanted to test the C/T hypothesis, and at the same time this historical obsession is something I was legitimately curious about :p

Generally when I think "Mormon obsession with History" I think "FARMS"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nauvoo was nothing more than a hole in the swamp before Joseph Smith settled it and made into one of the largest cities in the state (2nd largest at the time?). If it's lost any of its original character, it's probably because the Mormons were forced to leave or take it up with the business end of a Kentucky long rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Kirtland, OH. We're coming for Kirtland, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I mis read the title as

Morons buying up/taking over towns associated with Joseph Smith.

Dyslexia can be a wonderful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Nauvoo was nothing more than a hole in the swamp before Joseph Smith settled it and made into one of the largest cities in the state (2nd largest at the time?). If it's lost any of its original character, it's probably because the Mormons were forced to leave or take it up with the business end of a Kentucky long rifle.

It was a bit less polite than that.

He found one too many ancient indian jesus' in one too many someone else's wives panties.

"We're throwing Captain Diddlemore's body over the border into the river after we shoot him for good measure. Anyone else care to join him? Just one? Shoot him too. Anyone else? No? Good. Now get the fuck out."

Outside of Mormon tourism, there are weeds and it floods.

Some sort of pumpkin festival and lots of corn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OMG!

I don't have any intellectual respect for the Joseph Smith story any more than I have for the stories of any other scripture, all saturated with nonsense and inconsistencies. Memorializing the locations associated with Joseph Smith is different how from the Wailing Wall, Joseph's Tomb, The Dome of the Rock, The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where Jesus had a sandwich, where Muhammad took a dump, etc. ad infinitum.

Look how the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to ridicule Mormonism, presumably because there's no chance they'll be beheaded. While simultaneously, they'd have a conniption if anyone dared to suggest Islam is less than the metaphysical definition of peace, much less say anything critical about, for example, a not-at-all-related-to-islam terrorist bombing. It's pretty hypocritical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Look how the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to ridicule Mormonism, presumably because there's no chance they'll be beheaded.

Anyone thinking anyone posting anything on this site will lead to a chance of them getting beheaded is such an idiot I'd be amazed at their ability to use a keyboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

OMG!

I don't have any intellectual respect for the Joseph Smith story any more than I have for the stories of any other scripture, all saturated with nonsense and inconsistencies. Memorializing the locations associated with Joseph Smith is different how from the Wailing Wall, Joseph's Tomb, The Dome of the Rock, The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where Jesus had a sandwich, where Muhammad took a dump, etc. ad infinitum.

Look how the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to ridicule Mormonism, presumably because there's no chance they'll be beheaded. While simultaneously, they'd have a conniption if anyone dared to suggest Islam is less than the metaphysical definition of peace, much less say anything critical about, for example, a not-at-all-related-to-islam terrorist bombing. It's pretty hypocritical.

As (most likely) one of the usual suspects, you're full of crap. There are more Islamic apologists in your mind then haunt these halls. Islam is hands down the shittiest of all the Abrahamic religions.

I only occasionally go after Mormon's because if I go to far I'll be denied casserole access. MMmmm... casserole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
I don't have any intellectual respect for the Joseph Smith story any more than I have for the stories of any other scripture, all saturated with nonsense and inconsistencies.

Quote:
Look how the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to ridicule Mormonism, presumably because there's no chance they'll be beheaded.

Emphasis mine
robot Does not compute. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

OMG!

I think if people were saying

MORMONS ARE EVIL MUST MUST BE DEALT WITH!!!! BUILD A WALL AROUND UTAH AND KEEP THE MURDEROUS FILTH OUT!!!!

They would being saying that is bollocks too.

There is a difference between mocking a religion, and calling for it to be bomb into the stone age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.