Roll Player» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why choose Initiative 3 in a solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked for an answer to this but couldn't find one. Perhaps that's because I'm misunderstanding something about the solo game. (In which case, I may move this to the Rules forum instead of the Strategy forum.)

In a solo game, I am always making the decision of which die to place on which Initiative card, so I'll place the die I want on the Initiative card I want to choose.

If I choose Initiative 1: 0 gold and no Market card is trashed before I purchase.
If I choose Initiative 2: +1 gold and a Market card might be trashed (50/50 chance).
If I choose Initiative 3: 0 gold and a Market card will be trashed.

Initiative 3 gets me no benefit, but it has a 33% chance of trashing the card I want to purchase. Whereas Initiative 2 gets me one gold at a 16% chance of trashing the card I want. And Initiative 1 guarantees that I can purchase the card I want (but without gaining any gold). Why would I ever choose Initiative 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JCV
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I think you're supposed to place dice from smallest to largest. Hence #3 being the biggest potential penalty for choosing the biggest numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that you place the die on the initiative cards from lowest pip to highest pip. You only get to pick where they go if there's a tie.

Edit: Dang, ninja'ed ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
I looked for an answer to this but couldn't find one. Perhaps that's because I'm misunderstanding something about the solo game. (In which case, I may move this to the Rules forum instead of the Strategy forum.)

In a solo game, I am always making the decision of which die to place on which Initiative card, so I'll place the die I want on the Initiative card I want to choose.

If I choose Initiative 1: 0 gold and no Market card is trashed before I purchase.
If I choose Initiative 2: +1 gold and a Market card might be trashed (50/50 chance).
If I choose Initiative 3: 0 gold and a Market card will be trashed.

Initiative 3 gets me no benefit, but it has a 33% chance of trashing the card I want to purchase. Whereas Initiative 2 gets me one gold at a 16% chance of trashing the card I want. And Initiative 1 guarantees that I can purchase the card I want (but without gaining any gold). Why would I ever choose Initiative 3?

What they said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! That is a VERY important rule that we somehow missed. We've been having the first player place the dice. Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Strategy to Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.