Subject: Suicidal choices? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can the heroes make choices which are guaranteed to be suicidal? I don't mean starting a fight against 25 Sin dice, but more like allocations which will definitely kill a hero?

We had this come up last night with a Sin card that required us to allocate a certain amount of corruption. We were high up on the scale, with two characters maxxed out and one who was set up for a high-effect voluntary corruption. The two maxxed could take the corruption but would end up dying; or the other guy could take it meaning everyone would live, but he'd be max corruption.

I couldn't find anything in the rules to prohibit the heroes from taking the suicidal choice (we did have enough heroes in reserve to survive it) but we wanted to verify it. Am I missing something, or is this OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
Can the heroes make choices which are guaranteed to be suicidal? I don't mean starting a fight against 25 Sin dice, but more like allocations which will definitely kill a hero?

We had this come up last night with a Sin card that required us to allocate a certain amount of corruption. We were high up on the scale, with two characters maxxed out and one who was set up for a high-effect voluntary corruption. The two maxxed could take the corruption but would end up dying; or the other guy could take it meaning everyone would live, but he'd be max corruption.

I couldn't find anything in the rules to prohibit the heroes from taking the suicidal choice (we did have enough heroes in reserve to survive it) but we wanted to verify it. Am I missing something, or is this OK?

EDITED:

I looked up the rule book and because corruption caused by Sin cards counts as "forced corruption", regardless of the fact that you are choosing which characters to apply it to, then I think that, yes, you may make a tactical decision to kill off one of your FAITH heroes if a situation presents it, using corruption to deal them wounds.

We should probably pose this question to CMoN via the FAQ thread, because I expect they could rule either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Buhallin wrote:

So, there is actually a different rule that prohibits your characters from doing what you are proposing: Heroes cannot choose an option that they cannot fulfill. In this case, if their corruption tracks are full, they cannot choose to take the corruption.

So, yes, you may make a tactical decision to kill off one of your FAITH heroes if a situation presents it, but you cannot have your characters kill themselves in this situation because their corruption tracks are already full.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623791/multiple-rules-clar... Others FAQ Thread

Quote:
Q: Pride Sin Card: "Damned if You Do" - If the target hero does not have any Upgrades, can the hero choose the "upgrade card" route (so that nothing happens) or must they choose to take 2 Wounds?

A: You cannot choose an option that is not available to you. So if you have no upgrades for the Sin to flip down, you must take 2 wounds. …damned if you don’t!

I'm not 100% positive that this applies, so when I get home, I'll check the rule book for the section about differentiating voluntary vs forced corruption and what this choice counts as. I may change my mind.

I am not sure this would apply in this situation. The effect of taking additional corruption once maxed out is to take wounds. That certainly appears to be an "available option" and differs from the example cited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The distinction between "voluntary corruption" and "forced corruption" seems to be based on the source - if it comes from a Sin effect, then it's forced, and you can take forced corruption when you're full. It just turns into wounds.

I tend to agree with Kent - the players can take the corruption because they can absorb it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Updated my post above with a revised answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, fully corrupted heroes can choose to take forced corruption, thus taking wounds. The Sins player welcomes your suicidal tendencies! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.