United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
How will this play solo??

This game's system was the foundation for the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which plays awesome solo. I intend to play it exclusively solo, probably with 3 Saints so I can use the left/right/all effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's "solo" (single character in the game), and "solo" (single player at the table, playing multiple characters).

Pathfinder wasn't great in that first mode, and Apocrypha seems even more oriented toward having multiple characters, not just one. But I'm curious to hear from someone who actually knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
There's "solo" (single character in the game), and "solo" (single player at the table, playing multiple characters).

Pathfinder wasn't great in that first mode, and Apocrypha seems even more oriented toward having multiple characters, not just one. But I'm curious to hear from someone who actually knows.

Apocrypha will fall into the latter category especially with the player to left and right abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
peakhope wrote:

Apocrypha will fall into the latter category especially with the player to left and right abilities.

In Apocrypha, solo [character] play, you can assist yourself with all virtues* ... so I think that's a step easier than solo PACG.

* At least, as of the last publically-released rules -- v. 8.0.1 (July 18, 2016) pg. 13, Assisting Other Saints section includes then line, "If you are the only saint when you start the game, you can assist yourself with all your virtues."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toon_ace wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
peakhope wrote:

In Apocrypha, solo [character] play, you can assist yourself with all virtues* ... so I think that's a step easier than solo PACG.

* At least, as of the last publically-released rules -- v. 8.0.1 (July 18, 2016) pg. 13, Assisting Other Saints section includes then line, "If you are the only saint when you start the game, you can assist yourself with all your virtues."

I am behind on the rules apparently, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel I should make clear that assisting yourself isn't always super-awesome ...

If your Saint already has a '4' in a virtue, taking a mutation just to reroll all your dice isn't amazingly hot, because four dice to make your check is probably already reasonable.

If your Saint has a 3 ... it might be handy, depending on how hard the check is -- maybe this is the sweet spot.

If your Saint only has a 2 ... you're already likely hosed, and I don't know that rerolling those two is going to help a lot.

Then again, to be fair, the rerolls can be on bonus (not virtue) dice. A Saint with a virtue of 2, but 1 or 2 bonus dice mmmaybe does better self-assisting, despite the mutation.

Still, overall, my impression to-date is that playing Apocrypha as a single character is probably slightly easier than PACG. (Yet another reason I need to visit the Sharks again soon ... must check out latest iterations!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.