Twilight Struggle» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Forum Game General Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
In this thread we'll talk about the game generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shall we leave it to the individual teams to work out who gets which turn, etc? And presumably each team should have its own discussion forum thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
To repeat from the other thread each turn one player will be playing out the turn as best they can. During the headline phase teams will be able to discuss privately but apart from that players should do the best they can individually, unless they have any rules questions or the like. The turns should therefore be relatively short, with the active players making a few moves each day if internet access permits. The exception will be if non-ACTs using players require die rolls and have to wait on one of the moderators to roll dice for them. We could allow the rolling of dice in the moves thread instead but I've not used that method much and don't know how secure/reliable it would be.

If possible players should also write a short journal covering their thoughts for this turn- in a similar style to Ziemowit's, which we can post around turns 3, 7, & at the end of the game. For example: (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1579386/bgg-vs-ziemowit-com...). We can do that here or in the sessions forum.

My idea for the headline phase was that discussions should take place through e-mail, and not by separate forums, as there are too many people involved. This can easily be done as when I create an e-mail address for my team on ACTs then I will send a geekmail to all my team members with the password as well. So we can all just send messages from that e-mail to that e-mail giving some advice as to how we would deal with the hand for the current turn. All players will therefore receive e-mail notifications of moves when they are made as well. This will limit public discussion initially but later on we'll be able to reveal our comments when the commentaries are posted if something interesting was discussed. None of that is set in stone of course, if anyone has a different idea then please say so.

Player order can either be determined randomly or we can decide on who our opening batters will be internally. I favour randomness on the grounds of simplicity & speed but don't really mind if teams want to have that debate.

I will determine the sides by rolling a dice in this thread unless anyone has anything to say on that topic.

Lastly I suppose it's worth mentioning that due to the varying skill levels and styles of play it's likely that you'll disagree with the moves made by fellow team members at some point. Let's keep things friendly and supportive though, and make this a fun learning experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
By the way, for those who don't know ACTs is just a system for recording cards played in board games like TS, Here I Stand, Paths of Glory etc. It's useful for async play.

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Paul Harding wrote:
By the way, for those who don't know ACTs is just a system for recording cards played in board games like TS, Here I Stand, Paths of Glory etc. It's useful for async play.

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

So you basically just say "I'm playing X card for X coup" and it rolls the die there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
There's an rng die roller on the site which the ACTs people can use when playing the card. The alternative is to roll the die in your forum post using the roller here- guide: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_Randomizer_Guide

It seems cheat-proof so I'm happy for people to do that also in the moves thread. In that case ACTs people will just do the cards, so not much work! Realignments require some care though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Option 1

Teams choose order of players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Option 2

Randomise player order

Thumb away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
I've set up an ACTs e-mail and geekmailed confirmed members of my team with the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Jay or rubendario5 please do an e-mail and we'll get the game started

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
OK. Let's determine sides as no-one has commented on that...

1-3 Team Americas is USSR 4-6 Team Americas is USA.

1d6 = (1) = 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 950334. Paul Harding
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:33 pm
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
OK. Team Americas will be USSR. When we sort out turn 1 active player- randomly or by choice- we can start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Random it is.

No word from Redcard5 yet so....

Team Americas Turn 1

1 Jay Sachs 2 Michael Val 3 ajpl 4 rubendario5 5 ZooTangClan 6 Chips Ahoya

Let's roll!

1d6 = (6) = 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 950620. Paul Harding
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:04 am
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Chips Ahoya for USSR turn 1

And for the USA side...

1 King in Green 2 Erauntalon 3 Crazy Igor 4 CHINCB 5 Kajo 6 jhatzi99

1d6 = (2) = 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 950621. Paul Harding
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:06 am
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Erauntalon it is.

OK, as soon as Team Americas has registered an address with ACTs we can draw cards, give some advice, and watch our champions play out turn 1

Good luck everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
OK, hands have been drawn. Happy chatting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Redcard5 got in touch and will be on Team Americas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, I signed up for ACTS, so what do I do now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipsAhoya wrote:
Hey, I signed up for ACTS, so what do I do now?

You didn't need to sign up. I created a Google group for it. Send me a GM with your email address and I'll send you an invite to the group. Discussion has already started :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Good luck Eric, Janusz is ready when you are. Just post in the moves thread if you're not confident with ACTs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Harding wrote:
Good luck Eric, Janusz is ready when you are. Just post in the moves thread if you're not confident with ACTs.

Or else just ask on the team discussion group, and someone should be able to execute the move on your behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
My original thinking was that posting in the general moves thread would mean active players don't have to wait for the ACTs guys and let other 'watchers' follow the game. Dice can also be rolled there. However, I suspect that the game will go slow & steady with the differing time zones. If that's the case we may want to relax the rules on discussing stuff but let's see how things shape up with regard to speed of play I suppose?

e4 from the USSR then cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So despite having posted initial placement, we're still discussing things. I think that's in the spirit, but my understanding is that once the headlines are revealed, our turn one Chairman plays out the turn on his own, without support or criticism from the rest of us. Does that seem right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is important to clarify, so no team is at a disadvantage for not discussing things enough.

I was leaning more to an open discussion between team members, with the turn leader having the last say on every decision in that turn. New people might learn a lot with this approach.

By playing without support after headlines are revealed, there the risk that if an experienced player gets matched with a novice on any given turn, might be game over right there for the novice player team.

jaysachs wrote:
So despite having posted initial placement, we're still discussing things. I think that's in the spirit, but my understanding is that once the headlines are revealed, our turn one Chairman plays out the turn on his own, without support or criticism from the rest of us. Does that seem right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Original idea was discuss pre-headline then play, so the game went along fast. If most of the players would like to change to a slower discussion format then we can switch, but I think there should be some restrictions so the better players don't just dominate and the discussions don't go on too long. Thoughts on how we could do that? We could allow teams to discuss on AR4 as well or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.