Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only played it once at PAX West, I'm already wondering about a few house rules to try out.

One is the travel by bus action. Instead of moving anywhere it makes more thematic sense and less easy to only get to move from one bus station to another, depending on which card you discard. If you're at the Arkham bus station and discard a Dunwich card, then you get to move to the Dunwich bus station only. If you're in Arkham and discard an Arkham card, then you get to choose which bus station you want to go to.

Also, I wonder how it would play if different characters had different sanity, instead of all players starting with four. Not sure how you would figure that out yet (some sort of die roll, probably) but that would definitely alter what actions you might take on a given turn.

Hoping to get my copy this weekend so I might have to try these out solo first before I get a chance to play it with a group. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz B
Poland
flag msg tools
Good idea with these bus stations. I will play with this variant. I also suggest to do not treat starting station as normal bus station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heyheyjk wrote:
One is the travel by bus action. Instead of moving anywhere it makes more thematic sense and less easy to only get to move from one bus station to another

Thematically speaking, agreed. I was thinking the exact same thing. That is how we were used to travel between research centers in Pandemic as well.

However, we have been trying the expert difficulty for about a week now (where you discard 8 player cards right at the beginning), haven't won a single game yet -and I believe... travelling only between bus stations would make the game almost impossible to beat, at least for us in close future.

To me, the game is already incredibly hard with the expert mode. :s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read one thread somewhere that by not all starting together at the train station, you thematically make it as if everyone arrives independently (I mean, come on. You really think they would all be on the same train) which also eliminates the ability to give/take cards on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~Ettiene De Grellet
badge
MythicParty is a collaboration of socially-conscious geeks who raise $ to help various charitable causes- thanks to our supporters at Gen Con 2010, we raised $2,052 for an effort to help Gulf Coast recovery. Anyone can get involved just ask me how!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop me if you've heard this one...
heyheyjk wrote:
(I mean, come on. You really think they would all be on the same train)
A Magician, Hunter, & a Reporter get onto a train. Already inside are a Detective, Doctor, Mystic and a Driver. So the Detective says, "Hey everyone. How many cultists does it take to change a lightbulb?" And the Reporter says, "I don't know, how many cultists DOES,it take to change a light bulb?" And the Detective answers seriously, "No idea. I just started shooting them all. Who knows what crazy shit would have happened if they had finished."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
Theme wise I agree, but having all the investigators in the same location over saturates Arkham for a turn or two unless bus movement is used which costly. Also a lot of clues can be passed and one shaggoth can ruin your day. An alternate setup would be each investigator starts in an empty location in a different town that has no investigator. Place in player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea and had never thought of it before. Maybe take one card from each city and then have each player draw one? Then have them start at the bus station like they just arrived in that town? I'll definitely give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Read
msg tools
I don't have a major problem with the investigators all arriving at Arkham at the same time.

On the assumption that they all know each other before hand and arrange to meet there on a certain day certainly means they'll all arrive on the same train. There cannot be that many trains going to Arkham in the course of one day.

I'd hazard a guess that they do know each other - otherwise how would they know who to suddenly swop clues with when they meet up in other locations?

However the random start /pull a town card first sounds good.

I do this for Pandemic and have the player characters spread out around the world at the start.

Fred the Obscure,
Durban,
South Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
heyheyjk wrote:
I like this idea and had never thought of it before. Maybe take one card from each city and then have each player draw one? Then have them start at the bus station like they just arrived in that town? I'll definitely give this a try.

I like this variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.