$30.00
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If a system could exist where you could assemble a weapon from components left over from battle and build monsters with perks based off of keyword abilities that were rarely used, would you use it? What would you want to see in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I would use it; that's probably just from how I'm thinking of it. Really it comes down to game balance, the more customization like this you have the more chances for someone to exploit them to dominate the game. The customization options would end up being fairly bland in order to make sure nothing got out of control. It's possible I'm being way to pessimistic about this.

As an alternate proposal I think something based on the Rippertech from The Rippers RPG setting might be fun in a campaign. The idea is that the players would harvest resources from the monsters they kill in order to enhance themselves; werewolf grafts to gain regeneration, vampire eyes for charm effects, etc. Maybe the Blue Mage from final fantasy would be a better analogy.

Anyway, maybe trading class abilities for monster abilities or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
If a system could exist where you could assemble a weapon from components left over from battle and build monsters with perks based off of keyword abilities that were rarely used, would you use it? What would you want to see in it?

It sounds really cool, but the potential for abuse and overpowered combos in standard play seems really strong. Just imagining some potential Monster combos:

Fearbrand + Ethereal Hold + Ravage: Guarantee 2 melee attacks in a single turn against the weakest hero, ignoring positioning.

Stun + Ranged Attack: Used against a group of melee heroes, each monster could attack, inflict stun, and move out of range, making it very difficult (if not impossible) for the heroes to win.

Of course, the heroes could have similarly overpowered abilities, but this might create an unfun play environment.

I'd rather see this kind of thing released as a purely digital element for the Road of Legend app. That was the developers could adjust and "patch" overpowered combos, and in a cooperative setting having overpowered heroes isn't as problematic (I think it's pretty fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

It sounds really cool, but the potential for abuse and overpowered combos in standard play seems really strong. Just imagining some potential Monster combos:

Fearbrand + Ethereal Hold + Ravage: Guarantee 2 melee attacks in a single turn against the weakest hero, ignoring positioning.

Stun + Ranged Attack: Used against a group of melee heroes, each monster could attack, inflict stun, and move out of range, making it very difficult (if not impossible) for the heroes to win.

Of course, the heroes could have similarly overpowered abilities, but this might create an unfun play environment.

I'd rather see this kind of thing released as a purely digital element for the Road of Legend app. That was the developers could adjust and "patch" overpowered combos, and in a cooperative setting having overpowered heroes isn't as problematic (I think it's pretty fun).

My take on the monsters would be one name card, (choose a monster from the list, and grant an ability to one specific type), ability (offensive) card, and one buff (defensive or evasive). This would stop things from getting too crazy imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.