$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what the phrase "can involve leader" means.

For example, the Non-Player Indians consider a BS. The first Limited Command could build two villages in the Northwest, and Brant is there.

1. First, can a Gather command build two villages in one space if the requisite War Parties are there and stacking permits?

2. Second, does "can involve" include the leader simply being there? Does it mean he must use his special ability? Something else?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Not sure what the phrase "can involve leader" means.

For example, the Non-Player Indians consider a BS. The first Limited Command could build two villages in the Northwest, and Brant is there.

1. First, can a Gather command build two villages in one space if the requisite War Parties are there and stacking permits?

No. From 3.4.1:
Quote:
PROCEDURE: In each selected Province, place one Available War Party or replace two War Parties with one Village. If the Province already has at least one Village, instead either...

The "one Village" is very literal here. Generally in this game (and other COIN series games), rules as written is the way to go, and if the rules don't explicitly state something then it should be ignored.
Quote:
2. Second, does "can involve" include the leader simply being there? Does it mean he must use his special ability? Something else?

From 1.10:
Quote:
If a Faction plays a Brilliant Stroke card (5.1.4), the Leader must be in a space involved in at least one of the Limited Commands (including an origination space for a March, Scout, Raid or Garrison Limited Command). If not, the Brilliant Stroke cannot be played.

The "can involve" means that with NP Brilliant Strokes, the first command you select must be one where you can include the leader in the command per the bullet quoted above from 1.10. So it simply means that when you select a space for the command (e.g. target space for Gather or origination space for March), the leader must be in that space.

EDIT: Robert, I'm not sure if you've found this yet, but there's a pretty nice "Zero-player game" being played in this forum. It's basically four non-players fighting each other, and it's an excellent way to see how the NP rules work in action. You can find the thread here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
I'll add on because I had a lot of trouble with this concept for NP Brilliant stroke myself.

"To execute a Brilliant Stroke Event other than the Treaty
of Alliance, follow the executing Faction’s flowchart to select
the first Limited Command that both matches the flowchart
priorities and can involve that Faction’s Leader."

You don't use the "can involve" to select the action. Just because it "can involve" doesn't mean that it will.

You follow the flow chart priorities and select actions/spaces as indicated (including random choices, as needed) until you either end up with an action in a space that involves the Leader, or you pass the Brilliant Stroke.

Edit: Thinking about this a little more, I believe the wording would be a bit more clear if it said "involves that Faction's Leader" rather that "can involve". The "can" makes it seem like an option rather than a requirement. Just a suggestion for a future edition of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. That does clear it up, and I'll take a look at the zero game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.