Subject: Is there an index or summary of solo variants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game on order with a pre-order for Terraforming Mars. I only play solo. I think there is general agreement that solo play can and should be expanded past the three goals in Awful Lonely in the Big Black and even those three could be improved. I also see a lot of solo variants scattered about.

Is there an index or compendium of solo variants? Should there be?

It appears that some people here know the current state of solo variants. Would it make sense to create a summary page to help get new-comers up to speed quickly? I've been searching here and on Google. I see a lot of effort has gone into solo variants but it is difficult for me to judge which are the best to pursue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's not currently a full list... in part, I suppose, because there are so many different WAYS to play solo.

Some folks like to make the game more challenging, some to make it longer. Some like to add NPCs to either somewhat simulate other players or to make the 'Verse fuller in different ways. Some folks want to add layers by making the game "RPG lite" while others want to keep it as close to existing dynamic as possible.

The solo rules that will work best for you depend on what your preferences are.

Before you explore more variants, you may want to try a few games with the "simple" version of solo play first: take the Solo Turn from Awful Lonely in the Big Black and apply it to other story cards. I find that the "story-type" cards (Niska's Holiday, Harken's Folly, and King of All Londinium) work best, but the other cards from the core game can be used, too.

"Sticking close" to the core game will help you get a sense of what you like and what you want to tweak, which will help you gain a better understanding of which house rules will work best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks gwek! That's more than enough to get me started.

This thread: Solitaire Story Card: Beholden to Niska AND solo house rules to add difficulty contains and links to a number of solo variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the re-make of the classic "The Magnificent Seven" is due for release in weeks time (23rd September) I thought I'd mention my take on it: The Magnificent Crew.

Recommended Solo or 2 - 3 players.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Thanks gwek! That's more than enough to get me started.

This thread: Solitaire Story Card: Beholden to Niska AND solo house rules to add difficulty contains and links to a number of solo variants.

There are some links in there, but there are also a ton of more recent ones, especially around NPC ships.

Again, I think what you'll like will depend on your tastes, and I would caution against trying too many variants before you get a real taste for the game, since some change the tone fairly significantly. Personally, I find that Jude's rules tend to make the game longer, which is great for some folks, but not for others. Heck, if I have a long, free night, I'd rather get in two games than one - but others feel differently. I know there are a few solo campaign concepts that can play out over weeks or months, and that can be fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, it's a good question. I wouldn't mind seeing an indexed list of solo variants myself. I agree wtih Gwek on the various flavors available around here. And getting your feet wet in the base solo rules is definitely the way to go first. If your an avid solo gamer, I'm sure you'll find plenty of ways to satisfy the possibilities of solo play with Firefly. It's a game that's not easily broken. So tweak away until you've got something you really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Madruga
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many of the scenarios solo, the first few times to familiarise myself with the game to better explain it to others, but I still bring the 'Verse to the table for my own enjoyment regularly just using what's in the box(es). With very little tweaking you may savour the solitaire experience nearly in the same way as if you were playing with more people. And if you own the base game and all expansions believe me, you already have a lot to choose from and entertain yourself for many a session.

However, it is possible to enrich the solo gameplay by throwing in a few of the AI ships as found in many threads of this forum. You can download a couple of these rules compilations in the files section. I even shared my own version here, which I had initially created in order to avoid running through endless pages of forum printouts: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122405/non-player-ship-ru...

May you roll Thrillin' Heroics in every throw of the dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.