$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a strategic advantage to knowing spoilers? [No spoilers please!] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played through several campaigns of Risk Legacy. The second time I played was with the exact same group as the first, and it was a blast because we knew the spoilers and anticipated them, which changed how we played the game.

Then I played with a completely different group and I was the only one who knew the spoilers. I felt like I had a slight advantage, but not too overwhelming, and we all had fun anyway.

From those who have seen some of the Seafall spoilers, how do you feel the game would be impacted if one player had played the game already with a different group and knew about the changes to the game that were coming? I'm already committed to playing with one group, and have a second group that I'm trying to talk into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamblin Mat Cauthon wrote:
I played through several campaigns of Risk Legacy. The second time I played was with the exact same group as the first, and it was a blast because we knew the spoilers and anticipated them, which changed how we played the game.

Then I played with a completely different group and I was the only one who knew the spoilers. I felt like I had a slight advantage, but not too overwhelming, and we all had fun anyway.

From those who have seen some of the Seafall spoilers, how do you feel the game would be impacted if one player had played the game already with a different group and knew about the changes to the game that were coming? I'm already committed to playing with one group, and have a second group that I'm trying to talk into it.

Those who've played may have more to say on this, but the designers have said that a player would have an advantage in a second campaign, and that that advantage would grow the further ahead he was in his first campaign. How much that advantage would be (ie, he'd be guaranteed to win the campaign vs he'd have a trivial edge), I don't know.

Some examples of how a player might have an advantage based on experience:
1) If you know that certain appellation end up being powerful, you can try to grab them before someone else does (maybe research and exploration are both particularly valuable later in the campaign, making the "Adventurous" appellation a prime pick for your first win).
2) If you know what benefits you get for being the player to claim certain milestones, then you can prioritize grabbing the best ones.
3) If you know what new stuff is coming up in the next unlock box, you might be able to prepare for that a bit (maybe you know that the new event that got shuffled into the deck without being revealed caused spice goods to be taxed, so you avoid trading for spice goods...)
4) Depending on your memory, you might also remember which site numbers have good loot, and go for them. This, however, is easily mitigated: just have someone else pick your site number for you!

I'm sure there are many other examples, but the above are some guesses based on not having played the game. Would these gain you a huge advantage? I don't know. You should certainly let the players of the second game know, though, and give them a say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to address this in parts.

1) The captains book: While I know some people can memorize things just hearing them once, there are around 500 entries all with branching paths. So like a choose your own adventure book, it will be different the next time based one your choices. So not a super big advantage.

2) Ship end game upgrades: While knowing the path of the entire story you may be able to choose which ones might be better at certain times. It is more a reflection of how you want your game to go vs this makes it where I can do X next game because that is when Y is revealed. It will be hard to time the upgrade to exactly when any event will happen, because different groups will do different actions.

3) Advisor end game upgrade: Mostly same as Ship one. Slight advantage of knowing a particular stat works really well with a specific advisor.

4) Unlock of a Box: The boxes have symbols instead of numbers which make it more difficult to remember which box contained which things (again some people will remember this or if you are the one opening the box you may find it easier to remember). This is where some of the mild advantages come from. If you make sure to space the time out between first and second play through, you should be fine. I don't think you will have an advantage that will make it where you would win every time, just that any twist will not impact you as much.

5) Keeping an Advisor: This one is very situational for it to be an advantage. First you must have bought the correct one (resources and turns), then you have to know exactly when something will need to be used (timing), and finally not have a better Advisor that you want to keep.

6) Conclusion: You will have an advantage. It will change how you play, not drastically just subtle choices. I think it can be done with minimal effort to focus on the game at hand. Most of the advantages are going to be situational and not strait out every turn you can choose the optimal play for game 15. I plan on doing this with my group, we have currently finished 5 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
1) If you know that certain appellation end up being powerful, you can try to grab them before someone else does (maybe research and exploration are both particularly valuable later in the campaign, making the "Adventurous" appellation a prime pick for your first win).

Appellations are all good. Some are better at different times, so knowing that for games 1 - x, appellation a is the best vs game x - y appellation b is the best may have a small impact. I think it is also somewhat subjective depending on your individual play style.

Becq wrote:
2) If you know what benefits you get for being the player to claim certain milestones, then you can prioritize grabbing the best ones.

Without saying too much it mostly depends on your memory if this becomes an advantage. All players know or should know milestones can be important.

Becq wrote:
3) If you know what new stuff is coming up in the next unlock box, you might be able to prepare for that a bit (maybe you know that the new event that got shuffled into the deck without being revealed caused spice goods to be taxed, so you avoid trading for spice goods...)

I will say that any preparation you may do will come at a cost of the current game. Which has both pros and cons.

Becq wrote:
4) Depending on your memory, you might also remember which site numbers have good loot, and go for them. This, however, is easily mitigated: just have someone else pick your site number for you!

Really depends on your memory. You will have to remember the symbol, the number you chose, and any sub choice if there was one to reap the "best" loot from a particular place. While not impossible it can be tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an enormous and possible insurmountable advantage to knowing spoilers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

Hard to argue with part of the design team on this one.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wholeheartedly agree to JR Honeycutt's comment. And I did the translation into German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:

Alrighty, so one campaign only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
jayahre wrote:

Alrighty, so one campaign only.

If every player had equal information it would be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.