GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,167 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help Me Identify a Game Book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear friends,

I was just watching Marcowargamer's video on Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series (thanks Marco, I love your videos!) and I was reminded that in primary school there were two game books in my classroom that had a traditional fighting fantasy/choose your own adventure style story in the first half and then at the end, had a first person dungeon skirmish simulation, where if you combined the book with its partner book, you could simulate a first person fight. Basically you had to decide what you were going to do and then notify your opponent of the code associated with that action. Then both of you would turn to the next page and see what happened! Every page was illustrated with the corridor ahead of you and any things you could hide behind. It was a pretty ambitious concept for the time which would have been 1992 or earlier.

I wonder if anyone came across these books and can share what they were!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Maybe...
Clash of the Princes
Double Game: The Glade of Dreams
Double Game: The City of Shadows
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BahdMufu wrote:
I wonder if anyone came across these books and can share what they were!

I do remember the books, was it Comabt Heroes by Joe Dever (oddly enough)?

EDIT: Funny enough, I also watched the video from Marco today and went to find my old Lone Wolf books. I think I have the first six or so and I was saddened to see how much money it would take to finish collecting the remaining books I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely 'Combat Heroes'. Thanks so much for that! I didn't realise it was a Joe Dever design. Definitely an ambitious concept don't you agree?

Love checking out those pictures again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BahdMufu wrote:
It's definitely 'Combat Heroes'. Thanks so much for that! I didn't realise it was a Joe Dever design. Definitely an ambitious concept don't you agree?

Love checking out those pictures again!

I hadn't thought about the Combat Heroes books until you mentioned them, so everybody wins. But yes, I remember playing them a few times as a teenager and it was a pretty crazy experience. Nothing even close to it at the time for me. However from what I later learned, they borrowed heavily from Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series, a game book that was out long before I'd ever started reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out that link tot he Ace of Aces game. What a cool piece of information! I'm glad I took the time to come on here and ask about this.

I wonder if those Joe Dever books are still published anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
BahdMufu wrote:
I checked out that link tot he Ace of Aces game. What a cool piece of information! I'm glad I took the time to come on here and ask about this.

Published? No. But if you're lucky you might find them in a second-hand book shop. The internet has made tracking this sort of thing down much easier

Oddly enough, there's a bunch of his stuff (recent books, I think) available in Italian and German from Book Depository.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Lone Wolf material you can go to this site: Project Aon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BahdMufu wrote:

If you read Italian, Lone Wolf, Freeway Warriors and Grey Star are currently in print (if "those" refers to Comabt Heroes, no luck).
If you don't read Italian, now you've a good excuse to learn.

JasonJ0 wrote:
Published? No.

In Italy they still are (originally by Edizioni EL, currently by Vincent Books with a new translation that generated... "lively feedback" because closer to the original text, but not to what many of us are used to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.