Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read how it is supposed to work.
But I just can't figure out if it will be fun to play or not.

Has any play tester or reviewer (or anyone else) actually played the variant and can tell about it?

Would it be worth the purchase (I know it's not an option right now), only for solo gaming?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still trying to get a copy for review. The developer has been amazing about keeping in touch with the backers and updating them on things, but not so much about sending out test copies of the game. There are a handful of review videos out there for a very early prototype of the game though. Not too much has chanced aside from the visual aspect of some of the pieces though.

Do a quick search on YouTube and at least 2 or 3 videos show up.

Edit ~ of course none of them include anything about the solo or scenario versions of the game as they are still in development and were not around at the time the videos were made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Spangler
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We do have a limited number of prototypes (lots of pieces and components == heavy and expensive to produce and ship!), so not many have played the solo variant. I find it to be a lot of fun!

But let me describe it a bit so you can decide for yourself. It is short (15-30 minutes), so nothing like a sprawling and complex solo game like Falling Sky or Roads and Boats. It is more like a puzzle than a lot of solo games which are based in threat mitigation (like Death Angel or Friday). You are trying to get the best score given the available conditions, and there are a lot of different ways to do that. There is time pressure, as you draw at least one card every turn, and you don't know when the game is going to end, which adds a lot of tension as you try to get your plan to unfold before the sun blows. There is little other randomness except for when you receive the different effects you get from the cards you trigger and when the game ends.

The thing that makes the solo game for me is that there are a series of scenarios, many of which are going to come with the base game and more we will post on our website and here on BGG. Each scenario specifies initial conditions, instability effects that are in the game, and custom trigger flares and other rules. One has solar parasites that attach to your stations and reduce their effectiveness unless you take the time to clean them off. One we call "Energy Garden" where you cannot build energy nodes, instead energy appears on the board and you harvest it from there (like Pac Man). All in all we have about 8 developed, with more to come. Each one presents their own challenges and can be played several times, and also work for Co-op play if you find some other people to try them with : )

Please let me know any more questions! Happy to talk more about it if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank both of you!
It seems really promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jodi Sweetman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Also, there is a wonderful review by Cole Wehrle here on our BGG paeg that very thoroughly and thoughtfully covers game play and deep analysis of the game. We could be more honored by it & think it's a great read to figure out if the game is for you.
Thanks so much for writing!
Jodi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.