GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: The Definitive Answer to How Many Core Sets You Need To Buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
..As many as you like.devil

Seriously, I'm just buying one for starters, and definitely adding a second one as soon as I deem it necessary. I hope this clears up all of the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Snark snark Liono."

So, I've noticed people starting to get upset over new threads being created about how many cores one should buy.

I see it more as people just wanting to talk about the game. Maybe they don't know all the spoilers and mechanics and just want an outlet to express their excitement. It's great and people should feel welcome to do so.

This will happen. Please don't get too upset. We're all just really excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
"Snark snark Liono."

So, I've noticed people starting to get upset over new threads being created about how many cores one should buy.

I see it more as people just wanting to talk about the game. Maybe they don't know all the spoilers and mechanics and just want an outlet to express their excitement. It's great and people should feel welcome to do so.

i'm not upset, just to clarify. but:

then... why not to set a new thread about "suggestions about subjects of threads for just talking about the game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:
"Snark snark Liono."

i'm not upset, just to clarify. but:

then... why not to set a new thread about "suggestions about subjects of threads for just talking about the game"?

Not everyone thibks like that, but certainly a good suggestion. Id say keep 'em coming. I'm totally excited and would love to see more interesting stuff about the game pop up. Honestly, I just want FFG to drop another spoiler bomb. The Arkham LCG conversations always get juicier after those.

Also, like my "Snarf" reference?

Thanks for the reply!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmb
Snarf reference?
This is the Arkham Horror Discussion, not... Innsmouthcats.

Innsmouth, Innsmouth, Innsmouthcats, f'tang.

See what you did now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, but I'm not sure if I can follow ... why would I need two base sets? What's the gain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Sorry guys, but I'm not sure if I can follow ... why would I need two base sets? What's the gain?

for ffg? quite a lot!

for players, it's for get more copies of cards. i think the deck structure would allow 2 copies of some cards, and the core set only has one. hasn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

for ffg? quite a lot!

for players, it's for get more copies of cards. i think the deck structure would allow 2 copies of some cards, and the core set only has one. hasn't?

I thought that game is similar to the Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game ... but obviously not!
Is this a deck builder??? Do I have to build a deck before I play a scenario/campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

I wasn't upset, I was just trying to make a (apparently not funny) joke in the vein of the 'is this game dying' thread. I am a little perplexed that the same (apparently not funny) joke has now been made 3 times and I'm the only one who got admin slapped over it. Maybe mine was just *really* not funny.

C'est la vie. I'll try and be funnier next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

for ffg? quite a lot!

I thought that game is similar to the Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game ... but obviously not!
Is this a deck builder??? Do I have to build a deck before I play a scenario/campaign?

It's more of a constructive deck builder than Warhammer Quest I think. With two core sets you'll have more options for building your deck. But the game should be fine with just one core, you'll just have less to build your deck from.

Often, there are those killer cards like Unexpected courage that you want to see appear more often. However, if you add a second on you'll obviously have to remove something else.

With two cores you can make your deck do that one thing really well rather than a little bit of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

for ffg? quite a lot!

It's more of a constructive deck builder than Warhammer Quest I think. With two core sets you'll have more options for building your deck. But the game should be fine with just one core, you'll just have less to build your deck from.

Often, there are those killer cards like Unexpected courage that you want to see appear more often. However, if you add a second on you'll obviously have to remove something else.

With two cores you can make your deck do that one thing really well rather than a little bit of everything.

Thanks Alan. So it is a deckbuilder ... unfortunately, that will end my interest in the game - wifey doesn't like building a deck before she can play. She wants to jump right into the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

I wasn't upset, I was just trying to make a (apparently not funny) joke in the vein of the 'is this game dying' thread. I am a little perplexed that the same (apparently not funny) joke has now been made 3 times and I'm the only one who got admin slapped over it. Maybe mine was just *really* not funny.

Be more funny!!

That "is Arkham dying" thread is especially funny if you're also subscribed to the LotR LCG forum. It's hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Thanks Alan. So it is a deckbuilder ... unfortunately, that will end my interest in the game - wifey doesn't like building a deck before she can play. She wants to jump right into the action.

My spouse is the same ... might I suggest you might enjoy the same solo, or alternatively you can pre-construct a deck for her. This is my approach to our Netrunner plays. I constructed several (hopefully) balanced decks and we just pick one. Since this is a co-op, balancing the decks is a non issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

for ffg? quite a lot!

Well, keep in mind this game is a bit different that most deckbuilders since the deck size is much smaller (30 cards). Also, being campaign based, you start off with level 0 cards. After playing some quests you'll get experience which can be used to level up your cards into better versions. If your not into constructed play, it may not be for you, but this certainly has a new twist on how the decks are constructed so I'd definitely recommend still giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Maybe it had nothing to do with the joke --- maybe you just looked like you needed a good admin slap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all need it eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
Well, keep in mind this game is a bit different that most deckbuilders since the deck size is much smaller (30 cards). Also, being campaign based, you start off with level 0 cards. After playing some quests you'll get experience which can be used to level up your cards into better versions. If your not into constructed play, it may not be for you, but this certainly has a new twist on how the decks are constructed so I'd definitely recommend still giving it a try.
My mental image is of a hybrid between The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. You take Class/Faction cards to build an initial deck (LotR-style) then the cards level during the campaign (WQACG-style).

The real question is how much deck reconstruction there is between sessions. IMO this is where a campaign is different to scenarios. In LotR scenarios you are essentially trying to put together a deck that beats each scenario, it can be a tweak of the deck you used for the preceding scenario, or it can be a complete rebuild, the game doesn't care. Whereas in a campaign game, you should have a basic core set of cards that reflect your role, then upgrade (some of) those cards by levelling up and perhaps tweak the deck itself with acquired new gear/knowledge. This a more incremental approach to deck construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.