Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
This is an idea I came up with 2 weeks ago for a deck building game. It's still in the concept phase, but I have the mechanics and card ideas figured out.

The Story:
Long abandoned tunnels filled with ancient treasure have been found beneath the Dwarven undercity of Labyrith. The Dwarf King, Lord Turaduum, has made the following decree: "These tunnel shall be open for mining, effective immediately. All treasures uncovered will be shared for the good of all dwarves. The dwarf who brings back the biggest haul will given the title of Master Miner and named heir to the Mithryl throne."

Overview:
Dwarven Haul is a deck building game that can be played either competitively or cooperatively. Each player starts the game with an identical deck of 10 resource cards. Players take turns playing out a hand of 5 resource cards in order to gain resource tokens which can be used to grab cards from the mine. The mine contains a mix of face up resource cards and artifact cards, which are drawn each turn from the treasure deck. Resource cards are added to your deck when you grab them from the mine. Artifact cards are kept separate from your deck, and give you victory points at the end of the game. When the treasure deck runs out, the player with the most victory points is the winner. In cooperative mode, the players win if their combined total victory points is equal to or greater than the total victory points on all the unclaimed cards at the end of the game.

Resource Cards:
Resource cards have a resource type (Wealth, Tools, or Magic), a cost between 2 and 4, and a special ability. In order to grab a 3 cost wealth card you would need to spend 3 wealth tokens. Resource cards can be played in two different ways: either to get a single resource of the type listed on the card, or to get the special ability listed on the card. The special abilities are things like "Spend 1 Magic to gain 3 tools", "spend 1 Magic to gain any 2 resource tokens", "Spend up to 2 wealth to steal twice as many resource tokens from cards in the mines", and "Spend up to 2 tools to draw twice as many cards".

Artifact Cards:
Artifact cards have one or more resource symbols, a cost, and an amount of victory points that they are worth. The cost is multiplied by the number of resource symbols, so a 4 cost artifact with all 3 symbols would cost 4 Magic, 4 Wealth, and 4 Tools. Some of the artifacts give a static value for victory points. Others are variable and depend on the resources in your deck or other artifacts you've collected.

Turn Structure
Each turn represents a day spent in the mines. On your turn you take 4 steps in order: Explore the tunnels, Work the mines, Grab the treasure, and Recuperate.

Explore the Tunnels: Draw 2 treasure cards and place them face up in the mines. Then if there are more than 10 treasures, discard 1 or two unclaimed treasures such that only 10 treasures remain in the mines (They are taken by unseen creatures, lurking in the mines.)

Work the Mines: Play cards until you either run out of cards or choose to stop. Cards left in your hand allow you to save resources between turns during the recuperate step.

Grab the treasure: Pay resource tokens to grab treasure from the mines, then place your claim token and any number of resource tokens on one of the treasures.

Recuperate: Keep 1 resource token for each card in your hand and return the rest to the stock. (Note: resource tokens on your claimed card are also saved in between turns) Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, shuffling your discard to make a new deck if necessary.

Claim Tokens
Your claim token allows you to stake a claim on a treasure, doing so allows you to work on that treasure slowly, save resource tokens on that treasure between your turns, and prevent the other players from grabbing that treasure.
-You only get one claim token.
-The resources on the claimed card cannot be spent on anything except that card and are lost if you move your claim.
-Other players may play cards that allow them to steal resource tokens from the mines, undoing the progress you've made towards your claimed card.
-If your claimed card has no resource tokens left, you must immediately remove your claim token from that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the sound of it. A bit of a few good things. Interested to see the way you develop it. Please keep us POSTED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I did the initial card design this morning and made 1 card of each type. Only 100 more of these and I will have a prototype! My plan is to have 100 unique treasure cards, 25 of each Wealth, Tools, Magic, and Artifacts. Many of them will be upgraded versions of other cards. For example there will be a Steel Mine Cart "Spend up to 2 Tools to draw twice as many cards." and an Adamantium Mine Cart that lets you spend up to 3 tools to draw twice as many cards.

I decided to go with green for wealth so that I could use gold for the artifacts. I'm not entirely satisfied with the way it turned out, particularly the wealth symbol (green ingot). It's fine for an initial prototype though.

I really like the way this one turned out. The mine cart was kinda tricky (I'm not an artist), but it worked and I can recycle that art with new colors for all the other Mine Cart cards.

I'm really happy with the magic symbol and the way the blue cards look. The art on this one feels lazy (see above comment about not being an artist).

This one was fun. I tried to make the card layout different enough for the artifact cards so that they can be easily distinguished from the resource cards. Dwarven Haul is set in a fictional world that I created a few years ago for a custom table top role playing game I run. The city of Labyrith is in that world and the Everfull Chalice one of the magical items that the players can find in that campaign. I should be able to do all the artifacts this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.