Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I note on the side of the original version it says "best with 3 players" which seems to be consistent with the voting here on BGG. I've only just got the game but was wondering what specifically makes it best with 3?

The one main thing that I can think of why 3 is better than 2 is that the game is played over a number of rounds and finishes once at least one player gets $25,000. Therefore after a round or two if there is a clear leader then it would give the other players the opportunity to pick on the leader so that they then have more of a chance of winning. In a 2 player game this isn't possible so I can see why 3 is better than 2.

But then why is the game better with 4 than 3? Do you have more control with the game? Does a 4 player game take too long? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just me 2 cents. I find Wyatt Earp and other rummy style games (I have several mystery rummy games) to be great with 2 or 3 players, but they you are right they do tend to drag a bit with 4 players. One reason why the 3 player could might edge up a little is that there is more opportunity for you to lay off cards on exisiting suits because there are often more suits on the table in a 3 player game than with 2. I've had some 2 player games where you go several rounds before someone can lay off a set of 3. This perhaps makes 3 players a little more appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it's best with 3, doesn't mean it's bad with 4.

With 4 I find that the hands may end more often by going through the deck twice instead of someone going out. You can get wide spreads of cards across 4 hands, making it harder to get sets of 3. With 4 a larger percentage of discards are unavailable to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
It may be best with three, but it sure is excellent as a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
It may be best with three, but it sure is excellent as a two player game.

I agree that it is good with 2 (and 4 players considering I enjoyed played it with 4 over the weekend) but was just questioning what made it best with 3. As I said in my initial post, the opportunity to pick on the leader is not there with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.