10.61 PROCEDURE: During each Reinforcement Phase, newly
arriving generals are placed face down on the map. Generals are
placed after Strategic Movement. Prior to randomly picking a
general to be placed on the map, the player must first announce
the space into which it will be placed. A leader may not be placed
in a space that does not have a LOC or a friendly SP. If more than
one unrevealed general is to be placed in the same space, there
must be at least 1 SP per general in the space. Generals that are
already in the space count against this limit for these purposes.
After all unrevealed generals from both sides have been placed
on the board, reveal all of them for both the Union and Confederacy
simultaneously.

For some reason it is not clear to me how this is supposed to work.

Here would be my best guess of an example:

1. Union player selects Cairo as a space to place a General.
2. Union players has available: McClellen, Rosecrans, Pope, Halleck, Buell, Banks, and Burnside. The Union player selects some number of them to place. He decides to place two there (assuming enough SPs are present).
3. He selects them at random, so perhaps drawing from a cup, he draws Banks and Pope. They are placed facedown in Cairo.
4. Union player want to make sure McClellen gets into DC now, so he selects DC as the next space and places the rest of the Generals there, again assuming enough SPs are present.
5. At this point the Union general place is hidden from the Confederate player.
6. The Confederate player now must place Bragg, Smith, and Stuart.
7. The Confederate chooses Richmond as the placement space and chooses to place 2 Generals.
8. He draws Smith and Stuart from the cup (or whatever) and places them face down in Richmond.
9. Knowing he only has Bragg left to place, he selects Memphis and places Bragg there.
10. Once General placement is finished, all generals are flipped face up.
11. If by some chance the General placement is not desirable, a player may do a General reorganization via card play to set Generals to a more desirable positioning.

What isn't clear to me is when exactly the placing player knows the identity of the General being placed. In my example above I would assume they know once they have drawn the General, instead of only learning on the big flip. I also don't understand exactly when a player selects the number of Generals to drop into a space. Can they place more generals in a space after placing one earlier in the process? For instance, if the Union player drew every General but McClellen, and knows McClellen is the only one left, can he throw him in DC assuming that was what the player really wants?

Thank you to anyone who can provide insight. I think I am almost ready to play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think there is a simple answer to all the points you raised.

You only get to see who's who once all generals have been placed, no earlier than that. Sometimes you can see who's coming as in Lee's turn for he shows up along with three cav generals who can be spotted on the flip side easily.

Sequence, as far as I know, goes like this: 1. Union places all generals at once, 2. Reb follows, 3. Both flip, 4. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered someone on here saying that you could choose the counter then place it. But clearly the rules don't say that. Yet another rule we've been botching. Though, sadly, we were doing it right until my "memory" kicked in. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the purpose was to add an element of an anti-historical twist to where the generals made their start in the war. Kind of a little 'what if' thrown into the mix. Of course, you can use operation cards to reorganize, move or relieve generals back to historical positions if you want.

I don't think it matters if you come back to the same space when placing generals. The bottom line though is you don't know who is where until the reveal.

I personally like the different situations that come up because of the way generals enter the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richardson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:

7. The Confederate chooses Richmond as the placement space and chooses to place 2 Generals.
8. He draws Smith and Stuart from the cup (or whatever) and places them face down in Richmond.
9. Knowing he only has Bragg left to place, he selects Memphis and places Bragg there.

Not to quibble with your example, but these steps OUGHT to be:

7. The Confederate players announces the first two Generals drawn will go to Richmond, and the last to Memphis.
8. He draws Smith and Stuart first (and they go face down in Richmond), then Bragg is drawn and is placed face down in Memphis.

You have to specify ALL of your locations and numbers of Generals before drawing any out. In your example, it sounded like you selected Memphis because you knew you only had Bragg left to place. There cannot be any "if, then" processing with General placements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is incorrect, Henry. You get to place generals knowing whether they are cavalry or infantry. This is because the generals are first placed facedown before they are randomly drawn to be placed. Since the back of the general counters say whether they are infantry or cavalry generals, you always know whether you are placing an infantry or cavalry general even though you are picking them blind as to who the general actually is.

Look at rule 10.6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.