Mechwarrior: Dark Age» Forums » General

Subject: Interest in MechWarrior Dark Age/Age of Destruction collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek DeLoach
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi everyone...my name is Derek from Washington state, and I just created an account. I'm 34, and used to be a "BattleMaster" game administrator for this series back when it was new. This game originated in Seattle, WA and I had frequent dealings with the original design crew.

Apart from one single pre-release tournament gold pilot card and an unreleased mail-away piece, I have E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G for this game packed away in mint condition, and I've contemplated the best way to go about selling it.

I have every single Unique, one of every card made (un-punched and in several binders inside card sheets) one of every regular Mech and vehicle, and three of each standard infantry pieces...as well as a whole host of misc. accessories. Two dropships, terrain sets, dice sets, all the collector's pins, map and promo posters, a whole file on my computer with the most recent rules revision, terrain templates, set lists, prototype and promo pieces, the whole set of 30 novels, even stuff taken off the WizKids website before it went down for good.

None of it has even seen the light of day in at least 6 years. I'm married now, no kids yet...and I don't know that I'll ever end up playing the game again. What to do?

Should I parcel it out by faction? I highly doubt anyone wants to buy an entire 99.99% complete collection for a reasonable price...and I don't want to just give it away for a low price. It was a considerable investment and about 6 years of my life involvement-wise. Your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek, I live kinda near you, down by Gig Harbor. We have a small group that still plays several times a month at a game store in Tacoma (albeit using a fairly heavily modified version of the rules -- once WK stopped supporting "official" tournament play we felt little need to be bound by their rules which we felt were thoroughly unrealistic). You'd be more than welcome to join us if you're interested.

While I'd definitely be interested in your stuff, I'm retired and there's no way I could afford it. It'd be a gamble, but I'd suspect your best option would probably be an auction at some convention where they're hosting a big Battletech tourney, but whether the bidding would get up to the appropriate levels would be a shot in the dark.

Your most direct course, I'd think, would be to offer it on eBay, but I doubt you'll get a fraction of what it's really worth. If you go that route, I agree with you that selling the collection all together isn't wise. Oddly, full faction sets are probably not a great way to go either, because if you're not actively playing the game then that categorization is kind of meaningless. If you want to maximize your yield, you ought to break up the set and sell the uniques individually -- some of the rarest can fetch upwards of $150, even standard uniques can go for $25 a piece. Only after you've culled those uniques should you then sell off the remaining standard figures as faction sets (active players, like me, will then be able to afford them -- collectors won't be interested in them, they already have all that stuff).

Anyway, that's my advice. Good luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MechWarrior collection?
Hi, Derek-

VWWolfPack wrote:
...I had frequent dealings with the original design crew.

Are you still in touch with any of the WK folks? Some of them might be of assistance, but I doubt it. I'd seen things being sold by the ?wife? of Randall Bills selling on eBay for typical evilBay prices. Regardless, some of the things you have mentioned could be covered by NDA's and/or IP; you weren't terribly specific in the description, but I would look closely at the 'set lists, prototype' items you have mentioned.

VWWolfPack wrote:

...best way to go about selling it.

Are you SURE you want to sell? Once you have, it is gone ... and you may have gone down the Dark Side ... ninja

I say that because back in the 1990's when my young wife stopped playing AD&D I dumped a ton of game items; Dragon mags, SPI/AH wargames, one-of-a-kind items from tourneys. Dumbest thing I ever did, but I was young, had 3 little kids, figured I'd never need it. I've regretted that ever since, at least in the 'get rid of it!' way I did it. You might want to consider hanging on to it, as it sounds like you have a valuable asset; but more importantly, who knows - you may change your mind about playing later [as I did], or merely want it for collectibility.

VWWolfPack wrote:

I have ...as well as a whole host of misc. accessories. Two dropships, terrain sets, dice sets, all the collector's pins, map and promo posters, a whole file on my computer with the most recent rules revision, terrain templates, set lists, prototype and promo pieces, the whole set of 30 novels, even stuff taken off the WizKids website before it went down for good.

I would urge you to see about preserving some of the electronic items you have; depending on what it is, there may be things worth submitting to the files section here on BGG, or warrenborn.com [which is THE place to look up pieces, btw]. I am in a similar place as Lance; I can't justify buying what you have for what it is worth, and I have enough to keep me happy already [*twitch, twitch*]. There are other avenues of passing on the MW stuff you have [FB groups, etc.]; but they are also still places where you can meet players.

Keep us posted, and please give consideration before you sell; feel free to PM me for details of places to contact players/buyers/sellers.

Best wishes,
~Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek DeLoach
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you both for the thorough replies.

Yes, I know full well the "regret" factor that you speak of. If I went through with it, I very well might experience that. I've been there before with other interests.

If you want, I can burn all of the support items that I have on a disc and send it to you? I don't know that any of it is affected by an NDA, and I surely never signed one. It's just a whole bunch of relevant things that I saved before they killed the WK forum and MW campaign site. I think at one point I was going to compile it all into PDF files, but never got around to it. I think I have a good number of documents related to the original game campaigns. It's been a while since I poked through it...I'll have a look.

So yeah, I know full well the "Dark Side" of this. If I start selling, especially the really rare pieces, then I have to see it through, and I likely would never be able to reverse my decision.

As I mentioned, the collection has been neatly packed away for long-term storage in a series of Plano plastic containers that themselves were a not-insignificant investment. Certainly, none of it is jumbled together in a box!

If you imagine the Plano tacklebox-type trays for the vehicles and infantry (I think 12 vehicles and 6x3 infantry per), and some Sterilite plastic drawers for the Mechs (each held 18 upright?), there are something like 50 of each type in various boxes here at my house...to give you an idea of the scale of all this. Then there are probably two more boxes with all of the cards, dossiers, misc. support pieces, the terrain sets, etc.As far as boxes, I had only kept one of each LE box per set, ànd a few others. It simply would have taken up too much space for me to have kept more. I DID take pictures of every angle of the later boxed sets before sadly breaking them down, and those pics are among my document file.

I didn't say at first, but my involvement with this game centered around Olympic Cards and Comics here in Lacey. I've known the owner (Gabi) since I moved to WA in 1994.

Also, if you have the Champions (2?) set with Garry Petersen and his Jupiter Mech, that dude still lives here in town. I haven't talked to him in a long time, but I do still catch glimpses of him riding his bike around town (he never chose to get a car). He was our star player from about the 4th expansion until the end, and was part of one of the national tournaments, very serious about it.

Man, even getting all of my collection out is going to be an arduous task...my wife will be SOOO excited. (She's never even seen it before, and has no idea as to the overall quantity of the collection). Out of sight, out of mind...right?

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VWWolfPack wrote:
I can burn all of the support items that I have on a disc and send it to you? I don't know that any of it is affected by an NDA, and I surely never signed one. It's just a whole bunch of relevant things that I saved before they killed the WK forum and MW campaign site.

That would be very much appreciated (at least by me and my group). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still looking for a buyer, depending on exactly how big the collection is and how much you want for it, I may be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Bigfoot
msg tools
Hey Derek, did you ever sell the fantastic Collection? I know this is a year later but it'seems possible you still have it available. Let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he found a buyer who took the whole collection off his hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.