$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
John Nelson
msg tools
Sorry but I DO NOT (just my personal preference) like the new art at all, and went to youtube to search for any info on the GOTY version coming out and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTXjKB6QxQ

I prefer the older art compared to (again just my opinion and preference) the art I see on this site. I saw there will be no conversion kits, so no chance for me to buy the older version and just convert it.

Any clarification would be appreciated, because I have no interest in owning it if that is the art used, just not my cup of tea at all.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
To the best of my knowledge, this is not a GOTY. Just Portal's 4th edition.
The art that you see and DO NOT like is the new art that will be on the box though.

My opinion: I LOVE the new art. The survivors walking casually on the beach while danger in the form of a snake, panther, and creepy face stones await... I love it!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, but that brunette!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has a new, clarified rule book and more than 400 edits to cards and you want the old one because of the box cover art? The first edition is still for sale everywhere if that's what you want.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nelson
msg tools
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am just realllyyy confused, because videos show old art that is the 4th Edition, then you hear GOTY version with this new art.

I quess I just need to ask, is there a way to have old art with new rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nelson
msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The game has a new, clarified rule book and more than 400 edits to cards and you want the old one because of the box cover art? The first edition is still for sale everywhere if that's what you want.


I respect your desire to have the newer version, but for me if the art (again just my preference) does not inspire me to play it, well I am not going to buy it.

Not trying to be rude just stating we all have different quarks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jokerrr88 wrote:
I quess I just need to ask, is there a way to have old art with new rules?

Yes, you should be able to use the new rules with the old version. I don't know if they will sell the rulebook by itself, but you can just print a copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is the new art, and some people don't like it.

Other people, like me, don't mind it.

I think most of the time with a game is spent playing the game instead of looking at the cover art, but everyone is different.

I do think it's worth pointing out that the game designer considered it an honor that they got someone they respected to do the new cover art -- it isn't just a random choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the new art is gorgeous, anyway.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have to say the new art inspires me to play it much more than the old box did.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Have to say the new art inspires me to play it much more than the old box did.


Yep, I have (and love) the old version, but the new art is MUCH more reminiscent of the book.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbacher wrote:
achates wrote:
Have to say the new art inspires me to play it much more than the old box did.


Yep, I have (and love) the old version, but the new art is MUCH more reminiscent of the book.

Completely agree: much less "band of intrepid explorers" and much more "wrecked on a desolate shore".

I mean, if people want buxom girl in a tricorn, they can google it.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Once it's out of the box, set up on the table, and you're playing it, the box won't matter.

There's always the expensive solution: buy both, and put the new version's contents into the old version's box.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jokerrr88 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The game has a new, clarified rule book and more than 400 edits to cards and you want the old one because of the box cover art? The first edition is still for sale everywhere if that's what you want.


I respect your desire to have the newer version, but for me if the art (again just my preference) does not inspire me to play it, well I am not going to buy it.

Not trying to be rude just stating we all have different quarks.

True, and the current edition is still widely available to purchase. I guess you could buy both and just put all the newer edition components into the old edition box. I'm pretty sure all the in-game art is unchanged.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the in-game art is unchanged.


ANNOUNCEMENT: Portal Games announces new releases for Essen Spiel

portal wrote:
Absolutely! No rules changes or component changes will make this edition incompatible. We only updated component quality, all the English , and packaged it in a normal (better looking!) box. -Chevee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel your pain. To me, the art is nice, but it's an odd layout. The foreground is on the left and right sides of the cover, framing what I would consider the actual subject of the scene which is not in the foreground, the people walking the beach. And the people are about the same size as the 16 (bazillion) logos running across the bottom. Thematic or not, to me, that's an odd choice. But whatever you do, don't let the box art stop you from buying this fantastic game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old box art put me off of buying the game in the first place. I came around to it after watching Ignacy play with Dice Tower guys earlier this year, but also heard about the GOTY version (as it was being called around that time), so decided to wait. And for my patience, I will be getting a much nicer box. Which, as others have stated, really doesn't matter since the rest of the game is virtually identical (shaped wood bits notwithstanding).

Don't judge a game by its cover, and all that. Except, in this case, I think because I did, I am being rewarded.

If you want the old box, buy it. You can find it all over the place, still. Grab the PDF rules, posted on the Portal site if you want to read something that makes any sense of the bits in your box. http://portalgames.pl/files/rules/robinson_crusoe_rulebook.p...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smallville247 wrote:
I feel your pain. To me, the art is nice, but it's an odd layout. The foreground is on the left and right sides of the cover, framing what I would consider the actual subject of the scene which is not in the foreground, the people walking the beach. And the people are about the same size as the 16 (bazillion) logos running across the bottom. Thematic or not, to me, that's an odd choice. But whatever you do, don't let the box art stop you from buying this fantastic game.


I agree the logos are awful and almost wreck the art. But having the figures not in the foreground is a classic device used in art for centuries (and is also commonly used in cinematography) to give the picture depth and immersion, and sometimes as here a sense of foreboding or potential threat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nelson
msg tools
Great responses guys, might just buy the old copy because the cartoony new cover just makes the game look to kiddish and I doubt anyone I play with would want to give it a play after seeing the box cover...but to each their own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jokerrr88 wrote:
Great responses guys, might just buy the old copy because the cartoony new cover just makes the game look to kiddish and I doubt anyone I play with would want to give it a play after seeing the box cover...but to each their own.


You need to teach your friends not to judge the book by its cover

Otherwise, a cheaper option would be to just wrap the box up in something, perhaps a printout of the old box cover?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
THe new box art is certainly much closer to the flavor and atmosphere of the Danial Defoe original;the Z Man version, though well done,is just a bit too "Hollywood Pirate" for the subject matter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.