Hide
2 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Solo Deep Dwarves Scholars use Insight on themselves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Pryor
msg tools
The Scholar's Insight ability says: "Once per turn, if you control 1 or more Scholars, you may spend 1 Magic Point. Until the end of that turn, when a Unit you control attacks, add 1 to its Attack Value if there are 1 or more friendly Scholars adjacent to the card that is being attacked."

I interpret this to imply that if a single Scholar is adjacent to an enemy unit, and pays the 1 magic point fee, that Scholar's own attack value will be boosted from 0 to 1. If other units are also able to attack the same target, they will share in the bonus, and other Scholars on the board may also benefit from the magic point being played, but my question is about whether the single scholar is enough to boost his own attack value.

My friend disagrees. She thinks that if two Scholars are adjacent to the enemy target, they can boost each other's attack value, but that a single Scholar cannot boost his own attack value.

The wording on the card seems to me to support my interpretation, and seems to her to support her interpretation. She reads the description of the ability as suggesting that there are two units involved; if the ability were meant to be applicable to a single scholar all by himself, she'd expect some explicit statement that this is allowed.

We can agree that it's not as maximally explicit with respect to this disagreement as one might hope. We've searched for an authoritative statement, but haven't found one. Some others on the forums have said things in line with my view, but only in passing, and these aren't authoritative statements. The issue is not addressed in v2.2 of the Summoner Wars FAQ. I believe that the Android game is coded in line with my interpretation (though I haven't double-checked) and though that's not authoritative, it's the best evidence I've been able to come up with.

It'd be really great if someone could point to an authoritative statement from Plaid Hat Games or someone on the design team that addressed this; or failing that, if we could use this thread to discuss/debate how the rule should be interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the basis for your friend's opinion. There's no such constraint in the card. You are correct. This issue isn't covered in the FAQ, because the card itself is unambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.