BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Getting a Collection Started rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Tobey
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hello, I recently got very into board games, right now I am looking for suggestions of games that would be a good buy. Let's just say I have $100 to spend. What games would you order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many good games out there! I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions, but what kind of games do you like? That will help us narrow it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the game that people usually start their gaming with is Settlers of Catan. Ticket to Ride is another big favourite.

If you are looking for a quick, easy to learn game, try Love Letter. If you want something interactive, Sheriff of Nottingham has neat bluffing thing going on. If you want a game where everyone works as a team, look at Pandemic or Flash Point.

If you are looking for something a little more cutthroat and mean, I would suggest Survive. Or if you just want a good time rolling dice, try out Can't Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Tobey
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Soleia wrote:
There are so many good games out there! I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions, but what kind of games do you like? That will help us narrow it down.

Hi! I really enjoy almost all kinds of games! Let's say I'm looking for area control, 2 player, and deck building games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking from personal experience, I would advise you to try (or at least research) games you are considering. A couple years ago, I took a deeper interest into board games and picked up several games on impulse. Now, after playing them, I wish I had done more research before picking them up.

I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions here, but remember that these will be personal opinions of THOSE gamers...not necessarily in line with yours. I would suggest you take these suggestions, and start looking into the games mentioned BEFORE you spend your hard earned money.

WELCOME to the hobby & addiction.

And, to keep this post on topic...I would say check out Pandemic. It's a co-op, plays 1-4, and it's a game I can even get my family to play once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
Hi! I really enjoy almost all kinds of games! Let's say I'm looking for area control, 2 player, and deck building games!

Star Realms is an extraordinary, affordable 2-player deckbuilder. Small World is a popular "gateway" area control game, though I haven't tried it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out something like meetup.com or your LGS to see if they have a board game meetup.

Go. Have fun. Play games.

Find out what you like, THEN start buying.

If you REALLY want suggestions though, the real question is: What do you want out of board games? What is it that attracts you to them? If you enjoy the social atmosphere, the answer is different than if you want the intellectual stimulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary is a great deck builder. I 2nd that for Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Check out something like meetup.com or your LGS to see if they have a board game meetup.

This is the best idea - otherwise people will just suggest their own favourites

And it can be expensive to learn what you dont like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn back now, before it's too late!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:

If you REALLY want suggestions though, the real question is: What do you want out of board games? What is it that attracts you to them? If you enjoy the social atmosphere, the answer is different than if you want the intellectual stimulation.

This is EXCELLENT advice. However, if you still want suggestions...

Catan is a classic for a reason. Easy to understand, reasonable amount of skill, attractive looking.

Dominion is the classic deck builder.

For a card game, I prefer San Juan (second edition). It's got clean clever mechanics.

Or I love Innovation. It's a far better two player game but it's also a bit confusing for beginners (although I've taught a few, no problem). Lots of crazy cards messing with the other player's board.

Concordia works well two and some minor deck aspects. Lovely game.

Area control? I dunno, you could always go hardcore and get Dominant Species. A better choice is Alien Frontiers but it's semi out of print and might well cost you more than it's probably worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to advise you to not buy any games yet. I know, it's a shocking recommendation, but hear me out on this: you don't know what you like yet. And you don't know what you'll like when the novelty wears off. I am relatively new to the hobby myself, and so this process is very familiar to me. My best friend told me, "take it slow with building a collection, play a lot of games to figure out what you like first." I think that's on point. So attend meetup groups or game shop game nights, or play your friends' games first. Understand what makes you enjoy or not enjoy a game.

When you have a good grasp of that, start by acquiring games you've played several times and feel like you MUST have and know you have people to play them with. Then, expand from there.

For reference, I have currently played thirty individual games, and played a good half of them more than once. I bought some games I regret buying. For example, one of my early purchases was a game called 'The Ravens of Thri Sahashri,' a very complex two-player coop card game. It's a great game. However, I rarely play with just one other person and it's so complicated that even after reading the forums thoroughly, I still make rule mistakes. This is probably not a game I would have bought now.

Other games were real winners: Codenames, which I played several times and then bought, Pandemic, which I also played a couple of times before buying, Cheaty Mages, which I picked up on the cheap and by pure serendipity, it turned out I kinda like bidding games. Tokaido and Augustus were winners because they are the sort of game I can bring to many groups.

I also bought some games I wasn't ready for. Eldritch Horror is a perfect example - I loved Elder Sign & Betrayal at the House on the Hill, so I thought I'd like this sort of game, but I found that the story was too disjointed for me to truly enjoy the game. Other games are somewhat problematic because I rarely have people to play them with: I love Fairytale Gloom, but rarely play with people who like storytelling and I enjoy Mysterium, but can only play it with a very social group that is okay with considerable downtime, or as a 2-player.

Tl;dr: play games now, buy games later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
Hello, I recently got very into board games, right now I am looking for suggestions of games that would be a good buy. Let's just say I have $100 to spend. What games would you order?
I can't believe no one has asked this yet... what games have you played so far? What games did you like? Why? Are there any games you didn't like? Why?

What types of things do you think you'd like? Are you a battler? Are you excited by the idea of smashing against other people? Are you prepared to have them savage you and knock you out of a game? Are you a builder? Do you lovemaking something grand and basking in your accomplishment? Do you like card play and clever combos? Do you like puzzling out how best to optimize a bunch of resources? Does someone calling a game a "spreadsheet" intrigue you or scare you away? Do you like games that are loud boisterous silly fun or dry serious affairs?

There's tons of games. We could go a hundred different directions. We're all experts on games here, but you're the expert on you. Tell us about your tastes and preferences so we can match that up to a game you'll like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Area Control - El Grande

2-Player - Patchwork

Deck-Building - Marvel Legendary (Also acts as a co-op game for your collection)

Edit: If you buy your games properly, and treat them well, it is not a big deal if you end up moving on from a game because you can just sell it down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I'll just leave this here smash up

Game focuses on controlling bases, works well with 2 players, and is a "shuffle building" card game (I'm stretching the comparison as shuffle building is really totally different, but I'm trying to prove a point and I'm willing to stretch the truth to get you to play this awesome game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to answer the question posted & skip all the insightful snobbiness:

$100
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) let's say $50
Catan let's say $40
Machi Koro let's say $15

So you go over a bit but to me, that would be a good start. An AT game (Talisman), a classic Euro-Game (Catan) & a light little "Gateway" game, something for everyone and yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Area control:

Carcassonne
Lords of Vegas
Rococo

None are 2-player-only, but all play well with just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings: Afterlife is an excellent introduction to deckbuilding (or if you fancy solo playing, try Friday.

The advice on attending meetups is sound, same could be said for conventions and game festivals.

But really, just buy a couple of cheap games and try the crap out of them, it's not that expensive.

Here are some suggestions for research :

Codenames
Cacao
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Carcassonne
Patchwork
Pandemic
The Big Book of Madness
Las Vegas
Splendor
Citadels
Colt Express
Schotten Totten
Sun Tzu
7 Wonders Duel

One important thing to keep in mind: more important than which games to buy are people to play with. building one or several gaming groups is the best way to play a lot, the actual games are an accessory, like appetizers and drinks for the game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
a classic Euro-Game (Catan)

Catan is a fine enough game, and one I enjoy. But it requires 3-4 to play, and given your interest in 2-player and area control, I think that Carcassonne might be a better (and coincidentally cheaper) fit for classic Eurogame, OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, next time I need to read the whole thread.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
March yourself to a live game auction. With your $100 you can probably pick up 5-7 fantastic titles instead of 2-4 on the interwebs, and since you are new to this, you won't have to sit through hours of "stuff you already have" like I do.

Pete (envies you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Okay, now that I have a better idea of what's going on (decided to read the whole thread) here's my suggestions:

Area Control: Eight-Minute Empire
2 Player: Patchwork
Deck Building: Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NestMegatron wrote:
Soleia wrote:

For the deckbuilder I would suggest Basbeall Highlights: 2045. Great two player game that also includes solo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Area Control: Eight-Minute Empire

Eight Minute Empire is a good one for area control, and a favorite among my friends and family. It also has a sequel Eight-Minute Empire: Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Find out how local any gaming conventions are. See who has what games you like and then how often you would get to play with them. Not everybody needs to have a copy of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, etc. Build a network of people to play with. Always get their contact info. Always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.