Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to know what people who've played think of Warquest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, and hate to sound negative, but so far the manual is lacking in conveying the correct way to play and has many typos that any editor (or gamer) would catch on their first read.

I have big concerns about the functionality of the map. I have the 3-piece map that comes with the game and I also purchase the mousemat map. They are both beautiful maps but I am having a VERY hard time: discerning the borders between regions, identifying river and mountain borders, and just seeing cities and other landmarks.
Having not played yet I cannot say this impacts gameplay but I'm pretty sure it will be much much worse when the map has lots of minis on it. I'm considering using markers to bring out the borders of pretty much everything. Right now I don't see how this game can be played without constantly looking for the borders of regions, mountains and rivers.

Our group plans on playing Weds so I report how it plays after we are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome info Paul - thanks. Look forward to your groups thoughts post play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Talbert
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
I haven't played yet, and hate to sound negative, but so far the manual is lacking in conveying the correct way to play and has many typos that any editor (or gamer) would catch on their first read.

I have big concerns about the functionality of the map. I have the 3-piece map that comes with the game and I also purchase the mousemat map. They are both beautiful maps but I am having a VERY hard time: discerning the borders between regions, identifying river and mountain borders, and just seeing cities and other landmarks.
Having not played yet I cannot say this impacts gameplay but I'm pretty sure it will be much much worse when the map has lots of minis on it. I'm considering using markers to bring out the borders of pretty much everything. Right now I don't see how this game can be played without constantly looking for the borders of regions, mountains and rivers.

Our group plans on playing Weds so I report how it plays after we are done.

I'm with you on the rule book. It's amazing that some of these basic errors managed to slip through. It also feels like it was never reviewed by anyone except for the designer in the way that it assumes you know certain things going in.

I actually really like the board but I have not had the opportunity to play yet so we will see if it is functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inttruder wrote:
I actually really like the board but I have not had the opportunity to play yet so we will see if it is functional.

My plan is to mount one of the boards on my wall as a decoration and highlight the borders on the other and play with it.

Not sure which one I'm going to highlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only had trouble finding some of the landmarks and occasionally getting confused between some of the roads and borders. (I may make a gazetteer.)

The problem I am having in my solo run through is figuring out how best to win. The game has the appearance of being short (12 to 15 turns) and is a VP grab but there are a lot of ways to go about getting VP. The "best path" has not revealed itself.

I also noted that with five types of creature recruiting (I have not looked at the expansion yet) some player's will have an easier time recruiting, being closer to the pools. BUT the map is actually "small" in that there are not that many areas to traverse so it might not be that big of a deal.

So far the only real showstopper I can find is that the armies do not fit in some of the areas - so some sort of movement tray is "required" (in a Glen Drover game? No way! ;-)). This is not a huge problem (except that the Leaders are unmarked) but will prevent a couple of people I know from playing the game at all as they are "oddly" VERY picky about this sort of thing.

I have had trouble with combat - I roll dice poorly, there were a couple of rounds of NO damage/flees inflicted! Makes for a looooong game when playing solo.

I will probably mark up the map to better distinguish the borders in a couple of places. In my "two faction solo run through" my left hand is controlling areas while my right hand is building a large army. The latter strategy is failing rapidly as it is tough to recruit without money, which is relatively tough to come by given how taxing is limited to 3-5 gold earned per City.

Cool figures, simple/light rules. Lots of possibilities. The map is a work of art, but detracts from game play a tad because of how the roads are depicted. I also wonder about some of the rivers... The FAQ has been started and some questions have been cleared up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a sample two player learn the rules style game a couple days ago and am now in the process of doing the same thing with four players. Simply put, this is MY game. I am loving the idea of moving around, recruiting your own custom army from the tons of different unit types. Battling on the separate battle boards with your armies is a lot of fun. Questing and capturing objectives to gain victory points adds that little extra strategy that I appreciate.

It's true, I've had a lot of rules queations, and some questions about region borders, but with those now answered, I am just loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.