Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This game looks like it has just the right weight, duration and mechanics for my family, but I most often play with just my wife.

So, I'm curious, how well does this play as a two-player game? I see it's not really recommended as a two-player by "the community," but I'd like to hear from some of those who actually play it two player.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I think I've played this 2 player. One problem we found is that there is no rule what you're supposed to do if you accidentally play 2 cards of the same colour. You'll need to house rule that.

This game is fun, but it's very random. I played a game once which was won by a young child picking random cards from their hand!

Have you tried Incan Gold? It's a similar category of game but I like it much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I've played Incan Gold, and I do like that game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
The missus and I enjoyed it with two players. It's light and quick and has some fun guessing and second-guessing, but usually the decisions seem pretty obvious based on what cards you happen to draw. Thus, it is definitely better with more. With only two players, there are no possibilities for a fox catching many chickens. If you don't happen to have a chicken in a certain color offering high-value grain, there are no other players to compete for it. I would play it again, but I would not recommend the game specifically for 2P games.

We are excited, because the daughter is probably just about old enough to learn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, in 2 or 3 player games, each player plays TWO cards each round, you know that right? So the rules are a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Just to clarify, in 2 or 3 player games, each player plays TWO cards each round, you know that right? So the rules are a little different.

If that was directed at me, then yes, I am well aware. But each player may only play one card of each color. Thus, in a 2P game, the most you could capture with a fox is one fowl. And foxes will never duel, since there will never be a fowl to fight for.

With 3P, the 2 cards per player works a bit better, but the game is still more exciting with 5 or 6 players, when there is a chance of several or even all of the players picking the same location and lots of animals showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a lot of time two player over the years primarily with Daughter the Elder. It's not quite as good as four player, but still fun and works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.