Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
After feeling fairly confident that I understood the rules in Missions 1 and 2, I'm feeling pretty confused in Mission 4.

I was under the impression that when enemies Activate on Activation checks or from PC checks, it means you can see them. However I just ran into a couple examples where I couldn't...

After a paratrooper walked into V10 and activated a sentry at V15, he was shot and killed. It wasn't until I had his buddy run into the same hex and snap fire that I realized that the brush in V11 would have blocked the LOS.

Similar thing happened in G4 when Germans activated in M6. Not only do they not have LOS (building hex in L5 blocks), they are more than 5 hexes away so they can't be seen as per Night Visibility?

I figure that I'm wrong somewhere, either I screwed up paragraph checks, the line of sight rules, I'm under the wrong impression about enemies appearing in LoS, or mission 4 is just different...

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rule saying they can not be activated outside of LOS, even if activation often is tied to that, and I think in general it can not even be known by the system if someone is in LOS or not because of rules about LOS and different stances in buildings. They might be activated because they heard you moving or something.

Of course it is always worth checking the errata if you think something looks weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,as Pelle says, No LOS is needed. As no enemy units start on the map, it probably represents your paras regrouping and locating their objective.

I can't remember any specifics (who says this game has no replay value) but I suspect the enemy either stay put until you attack (ambush) them, or they go on the hunt for your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, glad that I'm (probably) not messing anything up. whistle

I got to say that the thing I like the most about Ambush is how easily you guys came up with thematic reasons for why Germans appeared out of LoS. This game tells great stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.