Subject: Playtest Video rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a playtest video in Youtube from yesterday's update.
Keep in mind (from update post):
please note we're only using playtest components not final components (particularly those are 1st edition minis NOT the new ones!).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_zi4a-oTg&feature=youtu.be

Loving this game so far and excited about the new minis:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renders are exactly that... Renders. I'm not going to get excited about the minis until I see some actual production (or at least test-run) figures.

I watched the gameplay and my response is "that's it? Move, shoot?". Please, somebody explain why it's an interesting game, 'cos "move, shoot" doesn't do it for me. I'm in at the Dark Legion level, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Renders are exactly that... Renders. I'm not going to get excited about the minis until I see some actual production (or at least test-run) figures.

I watched the gameplay and my response is "that's it? Move, shoot?". Please, somebody explain why it's an interesting game, 'cos "move, shoot" doesn't do it for me. I'm in at the Dark Legion level, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

I concur. I saw the gameplay video and was so underwhelmed I'm equally considering dropping my pledge. Wish there were more reviews on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Sometimes you move, move, or shoot, shoot. Also maybe move, shoot, extra action shoot, play doom trooper card then extra action shoot.

It's tactical mini combat. Is there anything else to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Sometimes you move, move, or shoot, shoot. Also maybe move, shoot, extra action shoot, play doom trooper card then extra action shoot.

Apparently not. I guess that I hadn't figured out that that's all it was. FFS, does it really take 4 designers of the calibre collaborating on this project to produce such a simplistic game? I assumed that, because those guys were involved, there would something interesting to see, but that gameplay video certainly didn't bring that out, quite the reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew O
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
crambaza wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Apparently not. I guess that I hadn't figured out that that's all it was. FFS, does it really take 4 designers of the calibre collaborating on this project to produce such a simplistic game? I assumed that, because those guys were involved, there would something interesting to see, but that gameplay video certainly didn't bring that out, quite the reverse.

Something you're forgetting about is that this game is NOT 100% co-op. If you want to royally screw over your friend you can (at least in the old game) slow down their movement for the rest of the mission, seal them up in a room with the biggest baddies the game has to offer. You can steal points and resources from them. On the flip side, you can help them out if you feel like being nice. Also, the switch from playing with the other players as a corporation, over to the Dark Legion side is actually quite fun. one game you may be helping, the next you are doing the murders on them.
They haven't said much of what the cards can do (I haven't watched the play test yet), but I'm willing to bet that they will include lots of ways to get in the way of your fellow Doomtroopers.
The old game is simple, but very fun. This looks to be even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
crambaza wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

i am an avid gamer, i enjoy deep tactical and strategic thought. but sometimes i want something lighter.

i played the first one tons and loved it. the playthrough video was pretty much what i expected, slightly updated rules with a few more options and rebalanced stats. yeah your moving and attacking (and now hacking), and deciding if you are going to play a card (for an ability or action) but what more did you want to do?

i backed this to see a reprint of one of my favorite games from my early gaming days, updated rules, rebalanced cards, and more options. i do not regret that decision.

Edit: to be clear this game does have tactical and strategic decisions. however not super super deep like some people are aparently expexting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a campaign work? If you spend all the time dicking with each other, how can you progress a campaign? What's the point of a campaign in the first place - unless it's just a set of strange-alone scenarios loosely linked by a meta. In which case, I don't think that's a campaign.

I guess my expectations were somewhere south of Mage Knight Board Game, but north of Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games. It looks more like a smash up of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and Talisman, which is perhaps not really what I'm looking for (and that's OK, it's not a criticism of the game and I'm glad that they posted a gameplay so that I understood that before wasting my money)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew O
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
How does a campaign work? If you spend all the time dicking with each other, how can you progress a campaign? What's the point of a campaign in the first place - unless it's just a set of strange-alone scenarios loosely linked by a meta. In which case, I don't think that's a campaign.

I guess my expectations were somewhere south of Mage Knight Board Game, but north of Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games. It looks more like a smash up of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and Talisman, which is perhaps not really what I'm looking for (and that's OK, it's not a criticism of the game and I'm glad that they posted a gameplay so that I understood that before wasting my money)

I haven't played any of those games (am I missing out?) so I can't confirm that, but the campaign in some cases is won individually by each character. On a given mission if only one of my characters makes it to the goal, I only get points for the one. The game is a semi-coop, so there are times where you need to rely on teamwork, but you can still throw a wrench out there for your friend Timmy if he is getting to cocky, or getting to powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

for the tougher levels you have to work together or you will all fail. but maybe you can slow someone down one turn so you can rush in for a kill instead of them, that sorta thing. there are similarities to descent (the move and attack thing) but i dont understand the talisman reference (man do i hate talisman)

if you are looking for something deep and engaging with little randomness, like mage knight? then this isnt the game for you for sure. there is randomness. quite a bit of it, your doomtroopers will get surrounded because they cant hit the broad side of a barn. your ezoghoul will lay waste corporations left and right, or fall to a couple lucky shots. there is strategy, and better strategy improves your game, but even the best strategy gain fail in this game.

i still remember with the old edition way back when, i believe it was the first mission with the ezoghoul and i was the DL player, the doomtroopers basically had to run from it to the end while it chased and caused chaos, i fired and dropped someone to half health, then they turned around and a couple lucky shots and my ezoghoul was gone. they still had a rough time of it getting out and i believe i brought in another ezoghoul as reinforcements. very fond memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew O
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

i still remember with the old edition way back when, i believe it was the first mission with the ezoghoul and i was the DL player, the doomtroopers basically had to run from it to the end while it chased and caused chaos, i fired and dropped someone to half health, then they turned around and a couple lucky shots and my ezoghoul was gone. they still had a rough time of it getting out and i believe i brought in another ezoghoul as reinforcements. very fond memories.

The stairs was the bane of that mission. If and when the stairs got clogged up... it was a fight to the death. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mroseksi wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

The stairs was the bane of that mission. If and when the stairs got clogged up... it was a fight to the death. Good times.

YES exactly, thats what i did. nothing like 6 or so doomtroopers in a fight for their lives. i think one of them had that AOE weapon too dropping legionares like theres no tomorrow, an ezoghoul walking through the explosion unscathed. cant wait to get this to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew O
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
mroseksi wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

YES exactly, thats what i did. nothing like 6 or so doomtroopers in a fight for their lives. i think one of them had that AOE weapon too dropping legionares like theres no tomorrow, an ezoghoul walking through the explosion unscathed. cant wait to get this to the table again.

My brother ALWAYS clogs it as a corp player... not sure why because he would be gettin hammered from the top step whilst the rest of us were getting hammered at the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenton White
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the gameplay may be a bit simplistic. For me this is a big plus and I'm quite relieved that they didn't create more complicated gameplay. I'm looking for a good miniatures game to play with my boys, and think that the move / shoot / roll dice / get lucky is just the level of depth we need for a fun time. Levelling up between missions and the friendly competition to get those points is something I can see my boys enjoying. Also like that this has great replay potential with included scenarios / community scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
I'm in at the Dark Legion level, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

There is no doubt that it is a simple game but, remember, that also makes it able for players to focus on the fun and the interaction (coop or screwage) between the players. I see this almost as a party game version of Descent. In a good way. No looking into the rulebook or discussion around what is allowed or not etc etc.

A lot of that was lacking in the gameplay video we saw but will really show in campaign mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Luciano
msg tools
mb
Agree with the majority here.

I never played the first edition (never translate in french), but what i read about it is : easy to play, a lot of fun, and a big replayability.

It's what i'm seeking with this game, and it's why i backed the Dark Legion pledge. Plus all the background, the campaign mode, the new solo and full co-op config, the awesome old school design.
And the great value the pledge will have at the end of the KS campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy_b. wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I'm in at the Dark Legion level, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

There is no doubt that it is a simple game but, remember, that also makes it able for players to focus on the fun and the interaction (coop or screwage) between the players. I see this almost as a party game version of Descent. In a good way. No looking into the rulebook or discussion around what is allowed or not etc etc.

A lot of that was lacking in the gameplay video we saw but will really show in campaign mode.

totally agree. those rolls where everyone is on the edge of their seat and after the roll everyone cheers (or jeers) in unison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like I am good with Imperial Assault and the new TMNT IDW game. Simple is fine, but just doesn't seem compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.