The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: Getting started rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarted this, way back, and it's been played once or twice, but it never really seems to grab anyone's imagination.

At the start of the game, when the first team is proposed everyone just sits there and shrugs. Nobody has any information to go off of, unless it's from a specific role, in which case they can't really say anything without giving themselves away.

Inevitably, voting is always either "yeah, whatever" or "i'm going to vote no, just to see what happens"

What are we missing? why is this game so highly rated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Inevitably, voting is always either "yeah, whatever" or "i'm going to vote no, just to see what happens"

The one thing people should want is to be on the mission - if you're evil you can fail it and if you're good then the odds on the mission being clean are much better when you are on the mission. So my default is "I'm going to vote no because I'm not on the team and I'm good, therefore the team is most likely to be bad". Then you get to see what happens and if it gets voted down who the next person wants to take on the mission which is useful info. Or try "I'm Merlin and this team is good so I'm voting for it" (trying it as Merlin with a good team might be risky but if you are a generic good and are right (admittedly unlikely) then it's great)

Mightyjim wrote:

I don't know, it's not for everyone. Some people don't like it at all. It's also possible that you might find it easier to get into without the roles since that makes it easier for the good team to say anything they know/suspect.

Another point is that it's sometimes best not to say things that you know (e.g. if you are certain that someone is evil then don't say and watch them and see what they do) though I think this is slightly less the case with Merlin as if a generic good player can out a spy that provides cover for Merlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Kickstarted this, way back, and it's been played once or twice, but it never really seems to grab anyone's imagination.

At the start of the game, when the first team is proposed everyone just sits there and shrugs. Nobody has any information to go off of, unless it's from a specific role, in which case they can't really say anything without giving themselves away.

It's a social game first and foremost. It's about working out who is lying.

And to do that, you must all talk to each other.

Saying there is no information suggests you're not even talking to each other. Don't just pick a team, explain why you're picking that team. Before picking team for the first time, ask who wants to go. Some people might be really enthusiastic - then the game begins. Are they enthusiastic because they are good, or because they are evil? Your group needs to interact.

Some people don't enjoy those interactions so much because it can get really confrontational lying directly to people's faces. For that reason, some groups simply don't get along well with this game. They either avoid talking to each other (because they don't want to lie) so the game falls flat, or they try to get on with it but simply don't enjoy the experience as it's too 'in your face'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

You don't tell us how many people you've played with and what characters you've tried including. These make a big difference.

For most players I know, it is having all the different characters in the game that makes it interesting and addictive. You have to learn how to play each one, and it can take quite a few games for that, inasmuch as you only get each character from time-to-time depending on what is dealt you.

At my group we often introduce new players, and although it is tricky and demands a lot from them, we find it is the characters that they find exciting and make them want to play more.

However, if you have only 5 or 6 people, perhaps, then this is not practical. I think Avalon needs minimum 7 players, and preferably 8.

Also, Zabdiel's and Orion3T's both give good advice about talking and voting. But, although Zabdiel's view about starting 'vanilla' with no characters will be right for some groups, I suggest instead that playing with characters from the start is more likely to grab players' interest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrun wrote:
However, if you have only 5 or 6 people, perhaps, then this is not practical. I think Avalon needs minimum 7 players, and preferably 8.

I think it's best with 7 as you have more options on characters but still few enough people that discussion just about works. I still enjoy it with 5-6 and it is possible to cram in more characters by giving the assassin's role to someone else (Merlin, Percival, Morgana, Mordred is probably the one to try, Oberon would make things rather tricky for evil when there are only 2 evil players).

I think playing with the roles from the start is probably more likely to grab people (though I have limited experience of doing that) but no characters worked for us since we have The Resistance and I think that may have worked better for my group (though it's obviously difficult to tell).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Don't just pick a team, explain why you're picking that team. Before picking team for the first time, ask who wants to go. Some people might be really enthusiastic - then the game begins. Are they enthusiastic because they are good, or because they are evil? Your group needs to interact.

Interestingly we don't tend to do that much discussion before the proposals for the first missing. No one can be bothered to be that enthusiastic when we assume the first few proposals will probably get voted down and being enthusiastic doesn't really make that much difference. It's likely to be "yesh, of course I want to go" or "yep" rather than "Take me! Take me!"

Second mission stuff will get far more animated with people suggesting how many people off the first mission should go, who should go, pointing out who has the 5th proposal, and there may be some accusations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Interestingly we don't tend to do that much discussion before the proposals for the first missing. No one can be bothered to be that enthusiastic when we assume the first few proposals will probably get voted down and being enthusiastic doesn't really make that much difference. It's likely to be "yesh, of course I want to go" or "yep" rather than "Take me! Take me!"

Second mission stuff will get far more animated with people suggesting how many people off the first mission should go, who should go, pointing out who has the 5th proposal, and there may be some accusations.

Sure, in general everyone will claim to be good and say they want to go, and nobody has concrete information to work on or base accusations etc on. But the key thing is to get people talking, and the sooner the better even if it isn't particularly enthusiastic at the start. In a new group simply asking the question might get that happening a bit quicker. Some people might even say they don't want to go yet as they haven't seen how the quests work, which seems like a 'bad' play but new players might not know that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First mission tends to be just random picking, but then tension ramps up with each mission. This game is like 90% about the table talk, so if your group is going "yeah whatever," then there's not enough discussion OR they're not vested in winning. Having Merlin, Assassin, Percival, and Morgana really make things interesting and gives everyone a side goal.

The introductory game is inevitably confusing to most people, but then it clicks and everyone wants to play again.

Or maybe your group is just not cut out for it? Are there other social deduction games they like? Werewolf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.