Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Krähenbühl
Switzerland
Galmiz
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer:
I rarely comment and write stuff on the geek. Primarily because my English-writing-skills aren’t that great. So I already apologise for horrendous sentences and silly orthograph errors. I saw, that there aren’t many opinions out here on the geek on this game, so I will put mine, to help others if this may be a suitable game for them.

I played 3 games of the pnp Version of “The ninth World” with 3 friends in one evening. We started with a normal competitive game, followed by 2 cooperative attempts…

How was the Learning:
The Friend who printed the game was the one who explained the rules to us. He usually does a good job explaining games but it took quite a moment for us to understand all the concepts and rules. I would say it’s one of the game’s which are harder to explain than to actually play. The game isn’t a complex one, but I needed some rounds to grasp everything – especially the thing with upgrading your cards (Focus-Phase). It’s not that hard – but it sounded more complicated than it was. My tip: play a round and you get it.
There are cards and power’s which are a bit confusing. (As you can notice when watching the rules section). But it’s like in other games with a lot of little cards and special effects: Sometimes you run into situations where the right interpretation of the rules isn’t that clear.
How was the experience?:
First of all: We had a good time playing “the ninth world”. This is the most important.
With the different skill’s you have various options and decisions to make. Do you go out fast and getting points from the beginning or are you playing it slow, upgrading your skills to be more powerful in the late game. Is it better to specialize on one or 2 skills or is a more varied set of skills better? This is the part where you plan your “long-term” strategy. In our first game we were 2 player’s competing for the win. One went out early for points and I did the later strategy advancing my skill cards first. We were at 89/90 point’s in the end, so it seems that both strats are viable. But remember: its only the impression after 1 game.
Then you have to react on the situations on the table: Who of your opponents will play cards in witch phase? If you want high cards i.e. Artefacts, you have to go first in a round. So you have to guess how many skill-cards the others will put down. This can be crucial: If there is only 1 monster, but 2 players contesting to fight it, the loser will get much less point’s 4 his played cards. After all it’s about to get as much points out of you 5 skill cards.
In top of all this, you have to consider your special abilities, cards which give you permanent or one-time advantages and the current location may have a special rule.
Sometimes the draw on the table doesn’t fit you set of skills, so you have to handle this.
So the competitive game was quite a pleasant experience. If suggested, I would play it again.

What’s about the coop mode?
In the coop mode, there are a few rule changes but the big thing is, that you try to fulfil the given score-objectives. I.E. every player needs 20 points at the end of round 3. If you don’t: You lose.
You further lose the game when to many monster attacks strike the city.
So you will discuss in your group who will get which cards’ and which upgrades. As you often can put together cards to gain points it breaks down to a big puzzle of how to get the most points out of a given set of cards out on the table.
We lost our first attempt in round 3. Not sure if it was our bad play or the unlucky card draw who killed us. We restarted immediately and managed to win our second coop. game.
The coop variant was a good experience to, but I think I’s really just a big point-getting-puzzle. I’m missing the fun part of outguessing your opponents’ moves so I like much more the competitive variant.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Matt.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: impressions after first play's
how long did the games take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Krähenbühl
Switzerland
Galmiz
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
how long did the games take?

The first game took us a bit more than 2 hours. The coop game 90-120min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two player games I have played lasted 45-60. Definitely one of those "let's play another" kind of games.

Nice write up!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.