BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My first math trade - Couldn't be happier rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago, someone kindly brought the Benelux math trade to my attention. I've been board gaming for a while, but only recently (about a year and a half ago) got interested enough to start researching them before buying and such. Over the years before that, I did accumulate a bit of a collection. I've been going to Essen for about a decade now, mostly as an RPG player. But I always bought something. Or hopped by the FLGS to buy a game to play with friends if we were together for a weekend. Main point is that I have quite a few games that I bought on a whim.
So a math trade, huh? Sounds good. I entered a couple of unloved games and went berserk on the want list. I basically ticked everything that was remotely within my tastes, going no further in valuation than 'I'd like to trade full size games for full size games and smaller ones for smaller ones'.
After the magic of math, I got super excited. One of my games traded! So I packed up Mall of Horror, which I found very, very 'meh', due to the voting mechanic. And a few days later a fresh, unpunched copy of Age of Steam arrived on my doorstep.
Two weeks ago, my GF and I played our first game. Knowing that base AoS isn't considered great with two, but the included St. Lucia expansion map plays different from the base game, I downloaded and printed the two-player Scotland map. And boom! Mind blown! I love Brass, so I knew this Martin Wallace chap was worth keeping an eye on. But I had not expected a game that tickled my brain like this one did.
So tomorrow, we're going to play it for the fourth time in two weeks. And so far I'm loving every second of it!

Long story short: I think this is the kind of 'best case' scenario a math trade is all about. I traded away an unloved game and got a new favorite in return. And I just wanted to share that with you. This community is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely missed that math trade, a pity... cry

Thanks for the feedback! I subscribed to the Belgium forum, in the hopes to avoid missing the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the story. I'm looking into math trades of late as I have a few games that I don't see my or my group playing again. I've managed one straight game-for-game trade that turned out great. Seems the math trades make this happy outcome all the more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
I completely missed that math trade, a pity... cry

Thanks for the feedback! I subscribed to the Belgium forum, in the hopes to avoid missing the next one.

That's a shame. But I guess subscribing should help

claudermilk wrote:
Thanks for the story. I'm looking into math trades of late as I have a few games that I don't see my or my group playing again. I've managed one straight game-for-game trade that turned out great. Seems the math trades make this happy outcome all the more likely.

Go for it! In my head, I basically got a great game just for paying shipping. I never played the one I traded away anyway, so it didn't feel like I was actually spending money or losing something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.