Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After our first play my only concern is that you only get 4 cards / generation. Our 4 player game lasted 9 generations; so 36 possible cards that you will only be able to pay to keep around half. Just seems very luck heavy for a 2-3 hour game. You have to play the draft variant to mitigate this. Otherwise amazing game, I love tableau building, Race for the Galaxy, Glory to Rome being 2 of my all time favorites. Game feels really good, highly recommend using dice for production instead of cubes.

We jumped right in the deep end and played with no production, all the cards, and 1/2 of us chose advanced corps. Game was 3 hours with teaching, setup/cleanup and play time.

Can't recommend enough if you like tableau building. Game feels lighter than Terra Mystica if you're looking for heavy it's not really that. More of a medium weight game. Overall your just converting money into other resources or directly into VP in the most efficient way possible, with cards with neat theme on them. The game isn't a Phil Eklund level sim, but very very fun like RftG and GtR.

Thanks Designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all you said, just wanted to add that i absolutely dislike RftG and GtR but i still love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:
You see and choose from 10 cards at setup. There's also extra cards from tile placement, a corp and projects. It's quite common to see at least 1 extra card per generation a few generations in which take the "seen cards" count to 50-something. That is a quarter of the available projects. What cards you see is some luck, but I wouldn't call it very luck heavy. What cards you choose to keep and play is no luck, all skill.

Terraforming Mars is the best game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
The game isn't a Phil Eklund level sim

Glad to hear it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the drafting variant once, I am not sure it will change much. The ability to hate draft and keep cards useful to your opponents means you're not any more likely to see synergistic cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Having played the drafting variant once, I am not sure it will change much. The ability to hate draft and keep cards useful to your opponents means you're not any more likely to see synergistic cards.

Your comment makes me think of a variant: you may only draft a card, if you also buy it. In this case you see a lot more cards and have no hate draft. However, you may regret to have drafted a cars, if you receive a better card with the next hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
After our first play my only concern is that you only get 4 cards / generation. Our 4 player game lasted 9 generations; so 36 possible cards that you will only be able to pay to keep around half.

Assuming you're using the "basic corporation", you start with 10 cards for free. You get the option to buy up to 4 cards per generation. There are cards that give you cards, there are spaces on the board where building can give you cards.

I've only played the game a few times, but "not having enough cards" has never been a problem I've faced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
After our first play my only concern is that you only get 4 cards / generation. Our 4 player game lasted 9 generations; so 36 possible cards that you will only be able to pay to keep around half.

Assuming you're using the "basic corporation", you start with 10 cards for free. You get the option to buy up to 4 cards per generation. There are cards that give you cards, there are spaces on the board where building can give you cards.

I've only played the game a few times, but "not having enough cards" has never been a problem I've faced.

I was under the impression from the rule book you still had to pay for any of the 10 starter cards you decided to keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
Otherwise amazing game, I love tableau building, Race for the Galaxy, Glory to Rome being 2 of my all time favorites.

I don't quite agree with the comparison to either Race or GTR. Both of those feel more like action selection games, which this game is certainly not. The better comparisons IMHO are to 51st State and Imperial Settlers.

I want to play more games to know for sure if the drafting variant really makes that big of a difference (my gut feeling is no). Taking cards in my experience seems to be a bit of a red herring proposition. You are often times better off buying only 1 or no cards per turn (so that you have the resources to play the truly vital cards to your strategy ASAP). The hard part about the multi-player game is you don't know exactly WHEN the game will end, meaning its hard to figure out when you should be transitioning into purely points generation mode. My thought is that drafting works only with players who know the game and won't bog down the research phase with AP. Further, if you are playing the "easy mode" version of the game, I see drafting as less vital for balance because in easy mode you start with 1 starting production of each resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
I was under the impression from the rule book you still had to pay for any of the 10 starter cards you decided to keep.

Beginner corporations get to keep those 10 for free as stated as the corporation special, normal corporations pay 3 M€ each for the cards they want to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ended up playing the game 6 times this first weekend I owned it. That has to be some kind of record. Really still enjoying the game, every game has felt different so far, with Oxygen, Oceans, and Heat getting built in different orders each game. We draft every game now and not sure I'd ever want to play with out drafting. People have won through Mega credit production, card draw engines, green spaces, and Jovian cards so far. Green spaces still seem the easiest conversion 8 plants or 23 credits into 3 points (assuming city and oxygen not maxed). If you want to deconstruct the game and ignore the theme, really all this game is is making credits and converting them to VP at the best rate possible. (like most euros) Despite that I love the theme. All our 3 or 4 player games have lasted 9 or 10 generations every game now. Knowing this helps math out when something is worth the delta in production or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.